Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 - WiFi Extra not working on TfL

edent
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an Android phone bought from O2 UK. I have an O2 UK SIM card on contract. I don't think the SIM is correctly provisioned.

On the London Underground, I see the network "Wifi Extra" which is "Available via O2".

When I try to connect to Wifi Extra, I get a pop-up asking to "Connect via O2".

When I hit "Connect", I get the error "Check password and try again" and it never connects.

I can connect to the Virgin Media Wifi. I can connect to O2 Wifi in public. I have no difficulty connecting to other networks like EduRoam. I have restarted my phone. I have tried disabling and enabling WiFi.

If I edit the network, it says the EAP method is "SIM" and the selected SIM is "O2".

How can I get the correct password provisioned on my SIM?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36053 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1602 Solutions

You'd have needed to be in an area with O2 WiFi, and if you have registered with it in the past, you may need to find the deregister check box squirrelled away on the login screen ("Forget me", I think it says) to get the sign-in screen to reappear and save your credentials.

Guide: How to Connect to WiFi Extra or https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground or https://www.o2.co.uk/help/digital-services/o2-wifi-automatic-connection any use as help, @edent?

Message 2 of 15

edent
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi pgn. This is not helpful. Please re-read the question. This isn't a problem with O2 Wifi. This is a problem with the separate network found on TfL stations.

The links you have posted do not address my question.

Message 3 of 15

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36053 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1602 Solutions

Sorry this was not of any use - I can tag in @O2Emma, one of the O2 advisors who may be able to check out your SIM config wrt TfL WiFi, @edent - Emma comes on duty around 15:00 today, wait for her to follow up in this thread. Good luck!

Message 4 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12083 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

Did you follow these instructions @edent  (taken from the Guide: How to Connect to WiFi Extra )?

1. Open WiFi settings

2. Click Add network

3. Set network name/SSID: Wifi Extra

4. Set security: WPA/WPA2/WPA3-ENTERPRISE

5. Choose EAP method: Sim

6. Click Save

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 15

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @pgn  I will pick this up thanks.

Hi @edent The WIFI extra is not something you can connect manually or sign up for we use the WIFI extra as a extra support on stations when then network is getting busy you would be automatically connect to it and it is random which O2 customers gets put on it . I have added a link below for further information regarding O2 WIFI extra

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/o2-wifi/o2-wifi-extra/

Thanks o2Emma

signature
Message 6 of 15

edent
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Emma. I'm a bit confused. I was at an underground station. There was no O2 3G or 4G signal there. So WiFi extra was the strongest signal. That website says I should have connected to it automatically. But my phone didn't.

So, who is right - you or the website?

Message 7 of 15

Alex0206
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Did you ever find a solution, I'm having the exact same issue.

Message 8 of 15

edent
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes. I switched to EE. They have a WiFi network which accepts a SIM password.

Message 9 of 15

Alex0206
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For anyone having the same issue I reset my network settings and it started working straight away

Message 10 of 15