Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel incorrect charges

David_Crawt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have been in St.Vincent since August 3rd 2022 and return home to the UK today, August 21st 2022.

Whilst I have been here I've been charged SIX times for using O2 Travel but, here's the thing, I HAVEN'T USED IT EVEN ONCE!!

O2 have reimbursed me all of these charges using the term ' as a goodwill gesture' which is annoying as that implies I have used the service and , as goodwill, they are paying me back; I HAVEN'T USED IT AT ALL.

During one of my chats with an operator, I was told that I'd sent 33 texts!!!! It would take me a whole year to send that many.

I have also googled this and found that other folks have had the same problem, with one guy having been told he'd sent over 200 texts.

When you ask them which number the texts were sent to they always tell you that it ends in 332.

Google has revealed that number to be an O2 'gateway' number through which all International texts pass so, they can't actually tell you whom you are supposed to have sent text to.

Anyway, I have been credited and so, incidentally, has my wife who has experienced pretty much the same thing as me.

The question is, why is this happening?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@David_Crawt 

iPhones send silent texts to register facetime and iMessage and any phone using visual voicemail will do the same.

They re=register each time the phone is turned on or when moving between masts.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@David_Crawt 

iPhones send silent texts to register facetime and iMessage and any phone using visual voicemail will do the same.

They re=register each time the phone is turned on or when moving between masts.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Albert_Edmonds
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi David, I have just experienced a similar issue however, I don't believe that the answer previously provided meets my scenario though happy to be corrected.

I have just returned from a two week trip to St Lucia and was aware that voice and text was covered by my contract however, data wasn't. If used I would invoke a £5 a day charge. As such, my phone had mobile data switched off from the moment that I got onto the plane out and until landing back in the UK. 

I was therefore surprised to see on my bill three random days across the two weeks attracting a £5 "O2 Travel" charge. Luckily only £15 but still not expected. 

I really can't understand the mechanics of this as to my mind it doesn't logically work.

I was also surprised that I hadn't received a text to inform me that I was using a chargeable service as from my experience this always happens when using services outside of your contract. This again suggests that there was something strange about the charges. 

I would chase up with O2 to help identify the issue but the only service that might allow me to contact them, the Chat Service, no longer seems to be available! 

I'm pleased that you managed to be reimbursed. 

I am keen to get to the bottom of this as I no longer have confidence in simply removing the data option to prevent unwanted charges. 

Hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on this issue. Cheers.  

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Albert_Edmonds 

Calls will trigger the daily travel charge too.

It's not restricted to data use.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Some phones also try and connect to services in the background, either using messages or data, when turned off/on (and sometimes if airplane mode turned off/on) - mainly iPhones for iMessage and the like, but also some Android if they have similar functions...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 7

Albert_Edmonds
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5,

Many thanks for the prompt response. 

I have two bolt on's for travel O2 Travel and O2 Travel Inclusive Zone. When checking on the O2 website prior to travel, in the O2 Travel "Countries covered", for St Lucia it states "O2 Travel is available on Pay Monthly (which I am). Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and data for £6 a day".

This may be down to my interpretation and I am looking for something that isn't there ie I sent a text outside of WI-Fi and therefore attracted a charge.  

I think I need to read the T&Cs again so ensure that I don't get caught out in the future.

Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 7

Albert_Edmonds
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi gmarkj,

Thank you for your response. Based on these responses, I will ensure that I am fully covered in the countries that I am visiting with my travel bolt ons and if not, keep the phone powered off and free of apps to restrict any potential background activity!

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7