cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 SCAM

Anonymous
Not applicable
The last few days I have been getting constant phone calls from this number 02825420312. I answered it today and it was a man stating he was from o2. He tried offering me new deals such as more data. He mentioned a £15 a month deal, for unlimited calls and text , which I was interested in. He took my name ( asked for middle names) and address. He then asked me for the name of my bank ... Which I gave, but I started to get weary. Then he asked my for my bank sort code and I was alarmed. I'm not sure if it's even a big deal and maybe I'm just paranoid. Anyways I end up saying that I didn't have my details but he said he would ring later but he didn't. I'm just wondering was this a legit call? Was I right to not give my bank details.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

I doubt it's O2 as it's calling from Ballymena https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02825420312
But never, ever give your details to anyone who cold calls you.

https://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=02825420312

Add the number to your blocked list too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

I doubt it's O2 as it's calling from Ballymena https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02825420312
But never, ever give your details to anyone who cold calls you.

https://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=02825420312

Add the number to your blocked list too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply. Now the more I think about it, it seems off. Do you think they'll be able to do anything with the details I gave?
Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous You may have given out more information than you should have. We always suggest never responding with any information to a cold call. I would say that it wouldn't be a bad idea to inform your bank about the call and the information you've given. Keep a very sharp eye on your bank statements to see if there are any charges to your accounts or credit or debit card charges that are out of the ordinary or that you don't recognise. You really can't be too careful these days.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
When I ring my bank @Anonymous they ask for my password or my date of birth to ensure I am who I say I am. So, if you've not given this info or your account number you should be okay. But to be absolutely sure I suggest you ring your bank explaining what happened and keep a close watch on your account.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Now the more I think about it, it seems off. Do you think they'll be able to do anything with the details I gave?

No, they don't have enough to do anything with.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the call was o2 and you are with o2 they would already have your details and have no need to ask.

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If the call was o2 and you are with o2 they would already have your details and have no need to ask.

Their is NO evidence at all that the number is O2. The links posted above show it appears to be a scam.

Also if the OP has their contact preferences turned to OFF they should not be getting cold calls from anyone (even so called trusted partners) trying to sell them a phone. Those details should be kept private from anyone except O2. We have seen many times on here, O2 have released private information to third party sellers. Also NEVER take out a contract from a cold caller.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8