Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Other Products and Services

Highlighted
Anonymous

O2 Network Coverage

Earlier this year, after a run-in with Vodafone, I changed to O2 to coincide with going over to a Samsung smartphone. Generally I have been happy with the O2 service.

However I am far from satisfied with the level of coverage in some areas. I live on the North Wales coast and frequently walk in the mountains of Snowdonia. I am disappointed that, in areas where I was previously able to get a Vodafone signal, O2 has failed me. I have to emphasis that this has not necessarily been in remote area. I have also been on mountain summits where there has been a clear line of sight with populated areas and I would thus have expected to get a signal. On a recent occasion my car broke down about two miles from the main North Wales Expressway(A55) and I was unable to use my mobile.

The coverage in the UK is poor compared with many other countries I have visited. I have visited the mountains of the Himalayas as well as the Alps and Pyrenees and have always been impressed by the coverage available in some of the remoter areas.

Surely we can do better in the UK.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: O2 Network Coverage

Agreed about North Wales. Too many not-spots where there should be signal + no 3G even in some larger towns.

And yes, when is Switzerland I never remember being out of signal and in France I was even in small villages with 3G.

It's not just O2 though, all of the networks.

Overall 66% of UK land mass is covered by 2G and only 13% for 3G. Of course, you would need access to all networks to get that - individual coverage is less.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Excellent first post mypyrex, a well constructed statement which should trigger a debate.

I'm with Vodafone and have always been impressed by their coverage particularly in the more rural areas. But in urban areas where industrial and residential properties are predominant, it is occasionally very average.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thank for the replies. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one concerned about this. I don't profess to know how mobile networks do work(or should they be called notworks) but I always thought this was what "roaming" was about.

I've been on to O2 via the Live Chat but all you seem to get is a robotic call centre person asking what post code you are/were calling from. They don't seem to realise that if you're on the top of a mountain you're not going to know what the nearest post code is. I've tried giving them six figure map references(accurate to within 10 yards) but that seems to flumox them.

You can be anywhere and not necessarily know what the post code is.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I know it does not help but 'tops of mountains' can be worse. Mobile stations are designed to deflect the signal downward at a angle, so you can have better coverage at the base of a mountain than at the top. Rocks also absorb mobile phone signals.

I walk a lot and have an old Nokia 6310i (which really holds signal) In it is a roaming sim based in the Jersey. It allows me access to Vodafone, O2, Orange/Tmobile. There are places it does not work but the likelihood of a signal is increased in an emergency.

Highlighted
Level 2: Apprentice

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it does not help but 'tops of mountains' can be worse. Mobile stations are designed to deflect the signal downward at a angle, so you can have better coverage at the base of a mountain than at the top. Rocks also absorb mobile phone signals.

I walk a lot and have an old Nokia 6310i (which really holds signal) In it is a roaming sim based in the Jersey. It allows me access to Vodafone, O2, Orange/Tmobile. There are places it does not work but the likelihood of a signal is increased in an emergency.

Hi DaveC,

So based on your 'roaming phone' which network do you find has the best overall signal in the sticks ?

Regards!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Vodafone followed suprisingly by Orange