cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Customer Service is laughable

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 Customer Service is laughable

I contacted O2 about having the brand new Blackberry Q10 unlocked so I can travel and not incur roaming charges. Looking for the customer service number I got a popup asking if I wanted to as an o2 GURU to help me. I thought great, so I asked them and they said we need the IMEI, the mobile number and you need to have £15.32 on your pay and go SIM and have used it for 24 hours.

So I buy a friend’s o2 pay monthly upgrade from them and get a microSIM put £20 on it use it and contact the 02 GURU again and they start the process. Then the bombshell hits. The GURU tells me I can’t have the handset unlocked for 12 months. I protest and tell them that the o2 GURU 48 hours earlier had told me no problem. They tell me sorry they can’t help. I try again and speak with a different o2 GURU and they tell me no problem all I need to do is give them the IMEI, the mobile number and have £15.00 on your pay and go SIM. So I drop the chat session thanking them and start another session. I tell them that I have spoken to other o2 GURU’s who have said that all I need to do is give them the IMEI, the mobile number and have £15.00 on your pay and go SIM, they confirm that this is correct and proceed with the unlock request. The o2 GURU comes back and again tells me I can’t have the handset unlocked for 12 months. He says only iPhones can be unlocked immediately. I challenge him and ask him to fetch a manager as this is the first time anyone has told me it is only iPhones and that the advice given to me has put me in a very difficult position.

The o2 GURU manager joins the chat and tells me there is nothing he can do (short version)

I call customer service and am fobbed off to many different teams and told by at least two different people that as the mistake is o2’s they will resolve this for me. When I finally end up at the correct team they tell me no there is nothing they can do. They offer me a refund of the £20 and tell me to go on my merry way. I try to reason with them that the mistake is the o2 GURU’s and that due to poor advice from not one but three different people I now have a locked handset and have wasted time and money on a device only good on the o2 Network for 12 months.

I am raging Smiley Mad, customer dis-service more like.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Ask your friend to fill in the unlock form using his pay monthly number and there will be no problem. 

Message 2 of 2