cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Age Verification - Redirection

Anonymous
Not applicable
All of a sudden when I try to log into certain sites (betfair for example), my browser gets redirected to the following page:
http://bango.net/O2AV/wAV.aspx
This has suddenly started happening today, and to be honest my spider senses start twitching when seemingly random sites start asking me for credit card details, especially ones that say they are O2 but have a web address that has bears no resemblance to the official site.
Anybody else had this?
Had what appeared to be a random spam email in my mobile broadband inbox today (which obviously you have no choice but to read cos the softare automatically opens all new messages regardless of who they are from!), so concerned it might be something nasty that has infected the modem/software as they both operate the other side of my firewall (I assume).
Any advice would be appreciated!
Many thanks
Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
viewtopic.php?p=332667#p332667 explains it all a reply in another thread by an official o2 site admin
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got this behaviour for the first time yesterday 1 March 2011.
Site "translate.google.co.uk" was age-restricted. I was redirected to "https://bango.net/etc" which displays an O2 logo and says (inter alia) quote "O2 won't share your credit card details with anyone".
Strictly, if I enter my details thereafter, I am telling BANGO not O2 and so O2 aren't actually sharing my details with the third party -- but I think it's dodgy.
There is no way that I am going to enter my details on a third-party website with a dodgy-sounding name. (A google or forum search for "bango" doesn't inspire confidence either.)
To be fair, going to the nearest O2 shop sorted it out in under two minutes. The fact that the shop staff were familiar with the problem suggests that there's a lot of it about.
But to summarise: O2 please get your act together. You know already what my date of birth is (it's in the contract details). Site "translate.google.co.uk" isn't an adult site (surely), and you have been told that earlier (end of last year, in forums). Do not redirect me to apparently dodgy websites which display your logo. Etc, etc.
Message 12 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had the same thing happen to me today. Thing is, I knowI've verified my age already when this contract started mid-2010.
So that's frustrating. What's also frustrating is that when I have tried to verify my age with my credit card i've been told that it has been unsuccessful, and when I go to the o2 site via a pc to get a verification code I get a message that it isn't available. Extremely annoyed, I can't get to an o2 shop mon to Fri and don't really see how I should.
So I can't visit any site that O2 deem "unsuitable" for under 18s until Saturday?
Now don't get me wrong, the sites I'd like to visit are DEFINITELY unsuitable for under 18s (I'm amused by people posting on here who are trying teribly hard to tell us that the sort of over-18 sites they're trying to visit are not, you know, those sort of over-18 sites but instead are the fluffy, family-friendly variety of over-18 sites.
Again, very frustrating and I don't seem to be able to get any sense out of anyone.
Message 13 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
To adamtemp64: thank you, yes I had seen that thread but I didn't feel it had answered all my questions. (Or addressed the underlying problems.)
To JonFKomedy: my point is that the site "translate.google.co.uk" is a legitimate example of this "child protection policy" going wrong. And it shows up O2's freedom to redirect users to possibly-dodgy sites, with O2 logo and trying to extract payment details.
Message 14 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
The point you're missing, Beaufighter, is that O2 should have absolutely no hand in what I browse on the Internet. The fact they're blocking sites like translate.google.com drives home the banality of it.
I've been on my o2 contract since June and today is the first time this has happened. They expect me to go out of my way, all of a sudden, to remove some bullshit block that wasn't there in the first place? And charge me.
Then, to top it all off, the site's been hammered so much by traffic that the server has died.
It's inexcusable.
So please, stop your sycophantic pandering posts, you cannot explain away o2's insane new policy.

Excuse me? How dare you!
There is no sycophancy or pandering in my post
What you will have read was condescension and smugness. Please try to be accurate grin
Message 15 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyway, back in the real world. I did some digging via a mate and apparently its a system fault and o2 are getting snowed with calls about it, they can fix it via a form without you giving any financial details, sojust call in and it can be sorted. They are trying to sort the problem to stop it happening.
Message 16 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks beafeater!
Message 17 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
I maid a phone call to o2 and they have sorted it today.. thats all u need to do is give them a call.. :@}
Message 18 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got the message today for the first time in 18 months.
I phoned the number and gave my credit card details and received a text saying the ban was lifted.
No when I go to any one of the 'age restricted' sites I'm getting automatically redirected to wap.o2.co.uk.
Any ideas? Do I still have to wait a while?
Message 19 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cant even get on it
Keeps coming up with
"Sorry, we can’t check your age. Click here to try again.Or take yourphoto ID into an O2 shop. To find your nearest shop, go to o2.co.uk on your PC"
Message 20 of 64