cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO 4G in the southwest's biggest city

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still cant believe we have no 4 G here in plymouth. i have a 4G contact but no way to use it. why is it taking so long? i will go to EE for renewel if this is not implememted by then

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As we have stated many times, O2 won't give us any clues as to the roll-out schedule. It is however continuing fairly rapidly. The only place to regularly check is the status page here http://status.o2.co.uk/

or registering for updates here 4G Stay in the Loop

I moved an account to EE for 4G some 5 months ago now but O2 4G has now reached my area. Hope it happens soon for you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As we have stated many times, O2 won't give us any clues as to the roll-out schedule. It is however continuing fairly rapidly. The only place to regularly check is the status page here http://status.o2.co.uk/

or registering for updates here 4G Stay in the Loop

I moved an account to EE for 4G some 5 months ago now but O2 4G has now reached my area. Hope it happens soon for you.

Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also as I understand it....having a '4G contract' doesn't automatically mean you get 4G

It simply means that when you travel to an area providing 4G you will get it there....and you are 4G ready for when it reaches your own area....

I am in a similar situation. No 4G where I live...travelled a distance of 18 miles on Thursday....and there it was...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
FYI one of the reasons for a lack of 4g in Plymouth is masts.

Cornerstone (the o2 and Vodafone mast sharing project) have just put plans in to Plymouth City Council for a number of new masts plus upgrade of existing ones. Once these are approved, 4g should follow.
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

Do you have a decent working 3g signal? If so please ask yourself this, can you do everything you want or need to do on your 3g device? If the answer is yes then please consider that over 50% off the population have no access to 4g, large numbers ONLY have 2g and approx 20% of the UK landmass has NO MOBILE SIGNAL at all.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous and what if the sender is no? Which it is for me, I live in hull and for the majority of the day my 3g data is just unusable, it is absolutely atrocious, I can't even load a web page. It has been like this now for almost a year, from about 7 or 8am onwards I cannot use my phone for anything other than calls and that is not always the best. I totally understand why people are getting frustrated with O2 and their lack of letting people know when they will be receiving 4g. It is really annoying when I see some on ee being able to stream HD TV to their phone and I can't even get a damn web page to load.
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sender = answer, don't know what happened there,
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the answer is no and your 3g is not responsive (which is happening in many towns and cities across the uk) then the issue is not signal, it is capacity.

Your issue is almost certainly data only. Your phone will be talking to the mast which in turn will send your data requests via rm the broadband fibre network. If your local mast is not connected to fibre that WILL impact on your service.

Likewise 3g has limitations with the number of lines available. It is a bit like a motorway. If too many cars are on it speeds show sometimes to a crawl. 4g doesn't have the same issue hence why when you have it it will be better.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also note there are reports of a mast not working in Hull which will impact on service. Keep an eye on the status page at status.o2.co.uk

Finally this thread is about the South West. Forgive me but I thought Hull was on the North East
Message 9 of 9