Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movistar SIM card

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Does anybody know where I can get hold of a Movistar SIM card? In the UK? I have looked on the Movistar website but as it is Spanish I can't understand it.
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

I've looked on the website and they will only ship to a Spanish address and you need ID and also have to pay the courier when they deliver it.

They state:

Within 72 hours of your order we will send an SMS to the contact number that you provide us, we will confirm the delivery details.

The order must be paid to the courier upon delivery. Our couriers do not carry change.

The delivery must be made to the person who is registered as a starter.

The identification must be made by any of these original documents: ID card, Passport or Green Card.

In just 24 hours your SIM card will be ready for use.

It is as simple as making a call cost and receive an SMS confirming your phone number.

I've read elsewhere that there are vending machines at airports and supermarkets where they can be purchased from though....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Cleoriff

One for you perhaps. slight_smile
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:
Does anybody know where I can get hold of a Movistar SIM card? In the UK? I have looked on the Movistar website but as it is Spanish I can't understand it.

Use Chrome web browser and it will automatically translate it in to English for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Gemz, I have never bought a movistar sim in the UK.

I did purchase a dongle with the sim in whilst in Spain but I used it for one day and returned it as it didn't give me the data allowance I required

I personally use Orange Es for my sim. This isnt for my phone though its for use with a dongle in my laptop.

They can be bought in the UK and as @MI5says you need to use Google translate to navigate the website.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Thank you for your advice. I will try chrome on my laptop later.
It is only to use with my iPhone next time I go on holiday.
If anyone has any better ideas then I'm all ears?
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gemz4the1 I would suggest buying it directly when you are in Spain.

Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I was under the impression that to buy a Spanish Movistar sim you had to give passport details so they aren't available in the UK. As @marinaP advises, much better to buy once you are there.

Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Yes @gemz4the1 It was confirmed for me this morning that genuine Movistar sims can only be bought in

Spain.

When I top my Orange ES sim up I have to physically go to the Orange shop (in Spain)...and provide my passport details. The assistant has to then PHONE head office in Barcelona to get approval for re-activation.

They are not even allowed to do this on the premises

I am told I could the re-activation myself in Spain...but I would need to be fluent in Spanish and I am not slight_frown

As I go to Spain every 4-6 weeks this is why I find this all a bit of a pain....and the reason I had Wifi installed in my apartment (for all my devices) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

I've looked on the website and they will only ship to a Spanish address and you need ID and also have to pay the courier when they deliver it.

They state:

Within 72 hours of your order we will send an SMS to the contact number that you provide us, we will confirm the delivery details.

The order must be paid to the courier upon delivery. Our couriers do not carry change.

The delivery must be made to the person who is registered as a starter.

The identification must be made by any of these original documents: ID card, Passport or Green Card.

In just 24 hours your SIM card will be ready for use.

It is as simple as making a call cost and receive an SMS confirming your phone number.

I've read elsewhere that there are vending machines at airports and supermarkets where they can be purchased from though....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info @MI5 @Cleoriff 

@gemz4the1 Remember to mark a post as your solution if you found one! wink

Message 10 of 13