Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Other Products and Services

Anonymous

Mobile Connect with Mac OSX 10.6

Hi all:

Thinking it was a new release of Mobile Connect, I recently installed Connection Manger on OSX 10.6, only to discover it was not intended for PAYG customers. I've now reinstalled Mobile Connect and it refuses to recognise the modem. Note that I'm running as user and not in an admin account.

The installer has installed (no version numbers but the dates may help):

HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext 5 August 2008
USBExpressCardCantWake_Hawei.kext 29 Oct 2007
Mobile Connect 5 Aug 2008

The device does show greyed out in System prefs -> network settings but if I click on connect is says the device does not exist. I'm wondering if there's something left over from the Connection Manager installation.

Anyone any ideas?
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

You may need a Mac forum for a better chance of help with this.

Of course on a Windows PC you would simply use System Restore, but I don't think you have that option.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

You may need a Mac forum for a better chance of help with this.
Of course on a Windows PC you would simply use System Restore, but I don't think you have that option.

A similar thing does exist on the Mac (Time Machine) but I don't have it set up on the Laptop - I just do regular back ups.

Sadly the last full backup I did was before I started installing the mobile connect application so I can't do a full system restore.

Sod's law in action Smiley Sad

Yes sounds like it, I hope you find a way round it.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Anonymous

Yes sounds like it, I hope you find a way round it.
Thanks. In the end I backed up all my data and reinstalled the last 'good' backup and then reinstalled my data. This meant that at least I should be starting from a clean base - at least as far as Mobile Connect is concerned.

After a search of all the support stuff, I found all the details for installing the new Mobile Partner software. I'd previously tried this but couldn't get it to work which was the reason I was trying to get back to Mobile Connect.

Anyway I've now managed to get Mobile Partner working, albeit it's dog slow. Also, the new driver seems to be rather heavier on the battery than the older Connect application. Downside to everything I suppose Smiley Very Happy

The new HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext is dated August 2009, so I don't know whether this would work with the older Mobile connect application, in case anyone running Snow Leopard wanted to try it as a quick fix.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Highlighted

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I was hoping another Mac user might see your post and help out.

Anonymous

Hi,

For connect to Mac OS X (>= 10.5), I have used the open-source library http://lightblue.sourceforge.net/. There are versions for linux and Mac OS. To install it, download the LightBlue source files and extract them to some directory. Open a Terminal window, change to that directory, and run the command

''python setup.py install''

To use the lightblue API, use import lightblue. In the official website there are many examples. I've coded one so you can use it to receive the connection of the script above.
===========================================================================
""""
=======================
macMote - Server
=======================
(c) 2009 Marcel Caraciolo and Dimas Gabriel
Released under the GNU General Public License
"""

import lightblue

s = lightblue.socket()
s.bind(("",0))
s.listen(1)
lightblue.advertise("MacMote Server", s , lightblue.RFCOMM)
print "Server started..."
conn,addr = s.accept()
print "Connected by", addr

while True:
packet = conn.recv(1024)
if packet == "bye":
break
elif packet != None:
print packet

conn.close()
s.close()

==================================================