cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Broadband & connecting additional devices

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I just bought a 4G dongle from O2 and the person in the store (as well as the flyer) said that I can be used to connect up to 5 devices at a time to the net. I have successfully managed to set it up on my laptop so I can browse fine, but I can't get any other devices paired with it. The O2 rep I spoke with was a complete waste of time 😞

My question is, how do I get my other devices to connect to the dongle without physically connecting the dongle to them? Do I need to setup an adhoc network for all the devices? Is there some setting within the Connection Manager I need to edit? Currently, all I can see from a networking perspective, is that my laptop, which has the dongle physically attached via USB, is connected to "Network 2", but I can't find anything called Network 2 to connect my other device to. Am I supposed to be using a router as well? It's only my iPad and my laptop that I want to go online with. So I am not sure if I should go get a lightening to USB (female) port cable and just physically connect the iPad to the dongle and repeat the setup process, or if there is an alternative.

I am really only using this while waiting for the cable company to come install broadband...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ana

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Right, just had a look and this dongle has both https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/dongles/huawei/4g-dongle-with-mobile-wifi/
If this is the one it will be transmitting a wifi signal which will be named something similar to the dongle name.
If you scan on your ipad it should see the network and you can connect by entering the passcode that will be in the instruction manual or in the settings page view-able from your laptop.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If you turn on wifi on the other devices do they not see the dongle and latch on to it ? That's the way I think it works.
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Is it a dongle or a pocket hotspot you have bought as the dongles don't have wifi, do they?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Right, just had a look and this dongle has both https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/dongles/huawei/4g-dongle-with-mobile-wifi/
If this is the one it will be transmitting a wifi signal which will be named something similar to the dongle name.
If you scan on your ipad it should see the network and you can connect by entering the passcode that will be in the instruction manual or in the settings page view-able from your laptop.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I think it's through creating an ad-hoc network with the device the dongle is connected to being the gateway.
I think in connection sharing settings you need to enable "allow other devices to connect to the Internet using this computer" and then set up the ad hoc network using the security of your choice.
The wifi of your laptop/ computer will act as the wifi hotshot and connect through the lte of the dongle.
Not sure on process but I'm sure someone will pop along sooner with exact details...
Message 5 of 8

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

Ignore my post, i think the tardis above me got it.

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Your method will work if the dongle does not have wifi though mate wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Yh I know doctor. But I think ur closer this time.
Message 8 of 8