Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making it possible for O2 customers to share data with friends or family

Squirreljo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Be really nice if you allowed users to send and share data with friends and family as I have 100GB data a month and some my friends don’t have much and run out quicker as I don’t use all mine every month so be nice if I could send some to them 😊 As some my friends are away on deployment at times so be good if I could send them some my data for us to chat more as I have loads and they don’t have a plan with as much as me. Other mobile service providers offer this service but I’ve been with O2 for over 10 years so be good if O2 offered it for customers soon please
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Squirreljo 

You can have a Sharer Plan.

https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans 

To get a sharer plan, you’ll need a phone or tablet on an O2 Refresh tariff with 1GB or more of data. This will be your lead device. It doesn’t have to be on a new contract – go to My O2 or come and see us in store to share your current data allowance.

Once you’ve got your lead device, you can then add up to nine other phones, tablets or sims to share its data allowance. If you already have additional devices that you want to add to a sharer plan, you can add them as soon as they’re out of contract.

Follow these steps to start sharing your data:

1. To activate sharing, you’ll need to log in to My O2.
  2. Once you’re logged in, you’ll see a list of your Pay Monthly accounts, with a link to set up your shared data.
  3. Click the link and your lead device will be shown with its data allowance. You’ll also see a list of phones and tablets you can share your allowance with.
  4. Tick the boxes of the devices you’d like to share your allowance with.
  5. Select ‘Start sharing data’.

Community Manager edit: Please note that Sharer Plans will soon be discontinued. More information here - https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Squirreljo 

You can have a Sharer Plan.

https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans 

To get a sharer plan, you’ll need a phone or tablet on an O2 Refresh tariff with 1GB or more of data. This will be your lead device. It doesn’t have to be on a new contract – go to My O2 or come and see us in store to share your current data allowance.

Once you’ve got your lead device, you can then add up to nine other phones, tablets or sims to share its data allowance. If you already have additional devices that you want to add to a sharer plan, you can add them as soon as they’re out of contract.

Follow these steps to start sharing your data:

1. To activate sharing, you’ll need to log in to My O2.
  2. Once you’re logged in, you’ll see a list of your Pay Monthly accounts, with a link to set up your shared data.
  3. Click the link and your lead device will be shown with its data allowance. You’ll also see a list of phones and tablets you can share your allowance with.
  4. Tick the boxes of the devices you’d like to share your allowance with.
  5. Select ‘Start sharing data’.

Community Manager edit: Please note that Sharer Plans will soon be discontinued. More information here - https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Squirreljo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I tried looking into that on my account but can’t find any details for it and I’m on O2 Refresh plus I think that only works if they are on O2 also where I’m not sure my friends are. As I know some other providers let you share data with friends who can be on different networks to you. Need to find out which network they are on I guess
Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Squirreljo 

You will be eligible for a Sharer plan as you are on the correct tariff. However, it can only be shared between O2 devices.

You also need to call O2 (or pop instore) to set it up.

\All numbers for O2 are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

Squirreljo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, I’ll find out what mobile providers my friends are on and ring O2 😊
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
No network will allow you to share data with customers on a different network.
The best you can do there is to allow them to tether from your hotspot but you have to be close to them for that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 14

Squirreljo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They aren’t on O2 so I’m stuck 😔 Sucks as since lockdown and not being out as much as my work has all stopped mostly due to virus I’m not using much of my 100GB data so would of been great to share with them so doesn’t get wasted but oh well
Message 7 of 14

Squirreljo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That sucks and I think it’s something mobile networks should look into allowing people to share their data mainly internet data with others not on same network as would help others out so much. Oh well hopefully one day it will change
Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yeah 'cause it's never gonna happen.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 14