cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei Mobile Wifi Pro High Data Usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

In July this year I bought this mobile wifi device and an O2 PAYG contract with 12GB data allowance valid for 1 year for my sister. She uses her laptop only for email and very light internet browsing (she is inexperienced and hence doesn't use a browser much. Overall max 30mins per day and not every day. The only emails she receives/sends are from/to me- about 3 a week! I have been tracking the data usage and it is running at 50-80MB per day. How can this be? My £60 for 12GB is disappearing fast. What can I do?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
Easier to point you here for a read https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

By any chance is the laptop running Windows 10? Check in the settings if it set to use "other computers for downloading updates".

Otherwise it may be something in the background doing updates like the browser! Depending on the sites she's visiting then it may be advert heavy causing the data usage.

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
Go to connection settings at the bottom of the networks screen and turn off everything except for browsing. If left alone all windows updates will be downloaded whilst connected.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Windows 10. Will check settings. Thanks for advice.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Struggling to see where I can "turn off everything except for browsing". Can you point me more precisely?

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
Easier to point you here for a read https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/
Message 6 of 8

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous welcome to our forum! How are you getting on with the settings? slight_smile

Cheers @sheepdog & @MI5 for helping!

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have read and understood the link that MI5 sent. Thanks for that. Waiting for my sister to connect so I can VNC to it and check/change settings.

Message 8 of 8