Did you mean: 

Google sms notifications

wytey-
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Anyone else having issues?

Was working fine until recently, stopped working so changed number to payg Giffgaff mobile, that works fine, but now when I change it back to the O2 number, I do not have the option of sms, only pop up and email.

Very annoying, considering GiffGaff use the O2 network, so why does it work on the GiffGaff sim but not the o2 sim?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
O2 appear to have turned off a few sms notification systems recently.
Twitter has been turned off too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
O2 appear to have turned off a few sms notification systems recently.
Twitter has been turned off too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

wytey-
  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They better not have, I rely on it to remind me of things to do, like taking my epilepsy medication

Pop ups disappear after you have closed them, email requires you to have Internet access, thus the most reliable option is sms

But like I said, GiffGaff who run on the O2 network and are far smaller, it still works fine on their network, yes it still works on their network, but I am not going to carry 2 mobiles around

Should have listened to friends and family and got my mobile on the Vodafone network
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
giffgaff is actually owned by o2 but they are run separately and have many differences.
If you are payg you can get a pac and port your number across to giffgaff.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

wytey-
  • 21 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have 2 mobiles, the GiffGaff one which still has some credit, and I still chat on their forums, thus still earning credit, and the O2 one which I got on contract.

What I meant is that GiffGaff are a much smaller company, so I presume that O2 are not stopping it down to costs....
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Most likely is down to cost.
As I said, they are run as separate companies so what one does won't necessarily reflect on the other.
giffgaff still offer unlimited data but o2 haven't done for about 5 years now.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Bear in mind that O2 have well over twenty million customers so costs would be far greater than it would be to an MVNO such as giffgaff.

Message 7 of 7