cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend got me to take an account out..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I took an account with 02 (someone I personally would not network with) and she promised she would pay every month. She has now moved to Thailand and hasn't paid a penny. I have stopped all direct debits as I refuse to pay for her mess. I myself am trying to save for a house but all I can think is the credit rating I will get for something that isn't mine. I've sent 3 emails to customer services in the past 2 months and I'm still waiting. I want rid of this nightmare of me having the pressure of her bills over me. It's a disgrace and people are cruel. Can someone help?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am sorry @Anonymous but you took the contract out so ultimately it is your responsibility, Cancelling your DD will just result in a default on your credit file. I am sorry but legally you are liable.

I am not sure who you emailed as O2 don't have a customer facing email address. The only thing you can do currently is to contact Customer Services and speak to an advisor. http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

They may assist you with setting up a payment plan. I would advise you do this as soon as possible,

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am sorry @Anonymous but you took the contract out so ultimately it is your responsibility, Cancelling your DD will just result in a default on your credit file. I am sorry but legally you are liable.

I am not sure who you emailed as O2 don't have a customer facing email address. The only thing you can do currently is to contact Customer Services and speak to an advisor. http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

They may assist you with setting up a payment plan. I would advise you do this as soon as possible,

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm sorry but the account is in your name and the responsibility for payment is down to you. Stopping the direct debit will surely severely affect your credit file for the next 6 years. Any hope of a mortgage or the ability to take out another contract or any type of credit will be next to impossible. Call customer service and report the phone stolen and at least you won't be hit with any more usage.

If it's a Refresh contract you can pay off the phone and end the airtime contract.

One of the pitfalls of taking out a contract for someone else but bottom line is you have to pay....

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are liable for all monies & charges, if you didn't want the account in the first place then you should have told your friend, that's not a good friend.

you will need to resolve this with CS, No doubt you will most definitely get a default as it was you who cancelled the DD, 

Not sure what you can do but pay up

Message 4 of 8

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
As above. Also, having a default makes getting a mortgage almost impossible.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Unfortunately @Anonymous you've made your situation even worse by cancelling your direct debit. Not only are you still liable to pay the O2 bill, but if a negative marker has been put on your credit rating it will stay there for six years, so your chances of getting a mortgage approval would be slim to none.

Edit: Apologies @Cleoriff and @jonsie. Didn't fully read your posts.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What a mess but a lesson there to be learnt for anyone thinking of doing the same.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You just never know how a relationship is going to pan out over 2 years....

Message 8 of 8