cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding and retrieving 15 year old number (recently deactivated)

tonyni
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have lost a number that originated with O2 over 15 years ago.  This number was last active in June of this year.

I recently moved to Canada, I’m home to the UK often and I’m always really good at keeping my old number active as it has great sentimental value to me.  However this time I forgot.  The last time I was home was Christmas and there has been no activity on the phone since.

GiffGaff, my most recent service providers deactivated the number in June and released it for reuse.  They are telling me there is now nothing they can do.  I refuse to accept that.  That number exists in some computer system somewhere, waiting for someone to activate it.  I’ve heard it goes back to the original network.

Is there any way that anyone has heard of for O2 to find that number for me?

I’d really appreciate any help I can get on this.  That number represents a little bit of home to me and I’ve lost it.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @tonyni

If giffgaff deactivated it I can't see anyway it could be returned to you. You could try O2 customer services but I doubt you will get a different response https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Welcome to the forum though Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Definitely one for @Marjo or @EmilieT to look into for you as I suspect no point asking customer service !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Sorry to hear about your number being deactivated @tonyni! That's an old one indeed, 15 years. 😞 I'm not sure if it's possible to retrieve but can check if I can find any general information about that on our end. 

Message 4 of 8

tonyni
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would really appreciate any help you can offer @Marjo.  Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Message 5 of 8

tonyni
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply @MI5.  I’m hoping one of the users you mentioned can help me slight_smile

Message 6 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@tonyni If the number has been deactivated, if you call it, you will probably get a recorded message saying that the number is no longer in use. That would be positive for you, as it would mean that it hasn't been reissued, and there could be a possibility of getting it back, if O2 is capable of doing that.

If, on the other hand, you call the number and someone answers, it would mean that the number has already been reissued, and you'd be out of luck.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 8

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@tonyni wrote:

I would really appreciate any help you can offer @Marjo.  Please let me know if you need any additional information.

I'm going to drop you a PM (private message here on the forum) for a few additional details now so we can check further. slight_smile

Message 8 of 8