cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage abroad - when data is turned off

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve been charged for O2 Travel (4.99 x 2) for two days whilst abroad. On these days the online Live Chat tells me that I’ve used a small amount of Data on those two days. My data was toggled off just before my plane left Gatwick and has been off ever since. I am still abroad. Has anyone else suffered “leakage” where data has been supposedly used even though data is off. Does Wi-fi assist make a difference ... even when Data is toggled off? WhatsApp says it will use data, but it’s greyed out so supposedly isn’t live. Is this an O2 scam ?
Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Others have asked similar questions in the past re iPhones and data leakage.
I'd certainly be asking for a refund of charges if it was me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Are you sure it's not due to a text or phone call?
Live chat aren't the most reliable with info unfortunately.
However, if you turn the phone off and on this can use data even if it is switched off on handset.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@AnonymousWhere were you when abroad?. In or out of Europe?

Just a general query....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It will be outside of EU at £4.99

Currently using:
Message 4 of 24

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I'm guessing outside Europe to be charged 4.99 a day. Personally I would call and explain data was off. O2 can tell if it's data or texts but I would ask polite if the charges could possibly be refunded if th e amount of data is negligible or if there is another cause such as texts it is still worth questioning.

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this. Nope ... no calls out, or in actually. No texts. They’ve confirmed the Time I used it ... just a few internet searches, so it wasn’t even WhatsApp calls that I thought might have caused it.
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. They’ve wiped the two charges off but I’m out here for a long time and can’t risk spending 4.99 every day!!!
Message 7 of 24

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Others have asked similar questions in the past re iPhones and data leakage.
I'd certainly be asking for a refund of charges if it was me.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Off course it was outside Europe....this is what happens when you haven't been abroad for a year to experience the changes ...Shocked (I shall get back in my box now) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
They told me to leave my phone on airplane mode to avoid charges ... not that helpful as no incoming calls would be able to get through. Useless!
Message 10 of 24