cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data abroad unusable

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just returned from my holidays I paid £1.99 a day for the bolt on that other than calls and texts which was not why I needed it was almost completely unusable. I could barely access any sites or apps and if I did manage to connect they were so slow they were useless and I ended up still have to buy wifi from various places. My friend who was on t mobile however had lightening speed and no issues. Any explanations and also who and where do I write to, as I'd like to take this complaint further?
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

And yet I have just returned from Spain (near Malaga) and had absolutely no problems whatsoever.... At the airport today and was talking to a couple both on Talk Talk. They said their phones were unusable and they were staying 5 minutes walk away from me. Our plane was delayed and I quickly brought up the Ryanair site which showed what time the plane was due and how much delay it had whilst at BHX. To say they were gobsmacked is an understatement...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 35

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Sure you weren't on wifi slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Sure you weren't on wifi slight_smile

Sometimes...and sometimes not....Never made any difference tbh...

I wasnt on WiFi at Malaga airport

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I've just come back from Portugal / Tavira near Faro. 

I signed up to Bolt-on Europe £1.99 / day. Read a couple of reviews so was sceptical. 

All I can say had no problems. I used my phone HTC M9 as a sat nav with goodle maps when driving around with the car hire and was mightily impressed. The data speed was dependent on locality. 3G in the town square on occasion and enough data speed to read emails in fishing village Santa Luzia but alas not strong enough to stream tennis and hear Andy Murray win Wimbledon while on the beach. I didn't mind slight_smile 

Sometimes it is good to be away from the internet. If it's urgent a text or call is all that is required.

Excellent service and at £1.99 a day (incl VAT) without having to worry great value. 

Recommend

Message 14 of 35

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Good to hear it worked for you slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 35

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

That's good to know and I'm sure it will help others visiting and travelling in Portugal slight_smile

Message 16 of 35

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
They were all in France last week though so probably the networks were under utilised wink

Currently using:
Message 17 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I have to say I am still undecided. I was going to opt out as I have easy access to WiFi and use Tu. However for certain reasons I chose to opt in last time I went to Spain. My bill was slightly higher than normal...but nothing unexpected. It seemed far easier than keeping a check on my bill on a daily basis if using standard roaming rates. ..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked billing and charged only the £1.99 per day which has come through on the bill. Total for the four days Fri,Sat,Sun,Mon.

Phew!

+ up to 120mins a day if I wanted and unlimited data.

£8 far cheaper than hiring a sat nav for the car rental plus no surprises on mobile costs 

Excellent - all good!

Message 19 of 35

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Yes it's a good deal if you are somewhere you can get decent data speeds, although your sat nav app may not have used much data anyway.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 35