cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical number swap between accounts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have had a PM phone account with O2 for years. This phone was actually for my adult daughter and she now wants to have her own account. It is critical that 'my' number becomes her new number

Yesterday O2 helped set up a PM account for my daughter with a SIM coming today. I was advised not to close my account until the number had been transferred to her new SIM/account.

How is it then possible to transfer my old account phone number to her new SIM.? This is not a straightforward SIM swap.

Also O2 advised that it would help my daughter transfer my old number to become her new number, but what would stop anyone doing this and 'stealing' someone else's current number.

Also when the transfer is finally successful and I cancel my old account, what will stop my old number (now her new number) being cancelled at the same time?

A walk through the process would be greatfully received as it is critical that her new phone has my old number.

TIA

vigman

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Maybe they were out of stock LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 20

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Maybe they were out of stock LOL

Yeah...like the VR headsets.....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 20

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They'll blame RM anyway......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the swap went easily with both myself and my daughter giving security answers and the number going over to her. I was slightly disturbed at the later text saying "your accounts have been merged as requested" but when I log in to My o2 it shows I have no accounts and no devices.

I was advised to cancel my DD and I would be billed for any airtime charges owing. I actually did the swap on the day of the next bill so was advised that it might be one day's airtime charge or nothing.

I am only slightly uneasy now that accounts might try and take a payment via the cancelled DD?

Thanks for all help and advice.

Vigman

Message 15 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We never advise anyone to cancel DD until full and final payment has been taken by O2. This could be a up to a month later depending when your bill date is.

I can't find the thread (it was last year) ...but someone was also told to do the same as you then had a default notice....

New account information can take a few days to update. Mine took 4 days and I thought it would show the next day @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 20

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glad it's sorted for you. If you have cancelled the direct debit just keep an eye on My O2 for any final bill.

My upgrade details updated overnight in January.

Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

A sting in the tail!!

I just got my final O2 bill...supposed to be about 1 day's useage, if that but.......£106 !!!!!! for early termination.

As I had long been out of contract period, I got on to O2 immediately but phones were a 30 minute wait.

Live Chat assures me this mistake will be rectified in a few days time, but it really annoys me when these large companies cause this sort of anxiety. (Wouldn't chat at first as this was not My Numner......no of course it isn't it was transferred to my daughter!!!

Also as I had correctly cancelled my DD, I wonder how the 'reimbursement' will take place if money has not been taken anyway!?

I will let folks know the end result. I thought it had been too easy.

Vigman

Message 18 of 20

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yet more system issues - it seems they are never ending !!

Currently using:
Message 19 of 20

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Of course !.......the whole O2 business process is flawed.

If it was human, it would be the equivalent of vital organs shutting down one by one.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 20 of 20