cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical number swap between accounts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have had a PM phone account with O2 for years. This phone was actually for my adult daughter and she now wants to have her own account. It is critical that 'my' number becomes her new number

Yesterday O2 helped set up a PM account for my daughter with a SIM coming today. I was advised not to close my account until the number had been transferred to her new SIM/account.

How is it then possible to transfer my old account phone number to her new SIM.? This is not a straightforward SIM swap.

Also O2 advised that it would help my daughter transfer my old number to become her new number, but what would stop anyone doing this and 'stealing' someone else's current number.

Also when the transfer is finally successful and I cancel my old account, what will stop my old number (now her new number) being cancelled at the same time?

A walk through the process would be greatfully received as it is critical that her new phone has my old number.

TIA

vigman

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143424 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just call CS on 202 when you have the new sim.
Ask them to swap the number, at which point your account will close and a final bill will be generated.
Your daughter will also need to be on the call with you.
No one else can do this as you both need to pass the account security checks before it will proceed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
  • 143424 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just call CS on 202 when you have the new sim.
Ask them to swap the number, at which point your account will close and a final bill will be generated.
Your daughter will also need to be on the call with you.
No one else can do this as you both need to pass the account security checks before it will proceed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 20

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Normally taking out a new account when you are both there together is quite simple. The number is transferred to the account in her name and the original account closed at the same time. Now that both accounts are running it's more complicated.

Did customer service tell you that the number will be transferred automatically? If so this account should already be closed and the sim coming out to her have thing the number attached.

Once she has the sim and activated the account she will need or you will need to contact them together to get the number transferred or by first having it put onto a P&G simcard and then transferring it that way.

Numbers cannot just be swapped between 2 accounts, by that I mean transferring numbers both ways. Numbers cannot be stolen by anyone.

Message 3 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous This is a customer to customer forum. What we have been told in the past is that to do what you want to do, you need to call customer service on 202 from your mobile, and both you and your daughter need to be together during the call. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to enable the speakerphone on your phone so you both can talk and hear the conversation.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was specifically advised to keep my account open until the transfer had taken place to ensure the transfer of the number.

I will contact CS when we are both here and see how it goes from there.

Vigman

Message 5 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
One quick thing to note (from personal experience) is make sure the account the number is currently on is balance free for both airtime and device plans.
If there is a balance (more so on the device plan) the transfer will not happen until it is cleared.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 143424 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was specifically advised to keep my account open until the transfer had taken place to ensure the transfer of the number.

I will contact CS when we are both here and see how it goes from there.

Vigman

That is also correct.

It is vital that your account is active or else the original number will be lost.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Good luck @Anonymous. Please come back and let us know how it all went, and if your swap was successful. It's always a help for anyone else who might have the same issue.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do! However the SIM didn't arrive today as hoped....!

Vigman

Message 9 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Will do! However the SIM didn't arrive today as hoped....!

Vigman

Not surprised at that. 2 new sims ordered in my household over past  2 months. Both promised next day if ordered before 10pm...Neither arrived as promised. In fact one didn't come till the Monday and it was ordered on a Wednesday at 4pm.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 20