cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by Refresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am not normally confused but on this occasion I truly am and was hoping some kind soul would be able to help. I am coming to the end of my contract with O2 and was looking around for deals. When I phoned to get my PAC code they tried to sell me another refresh plan, giving me the idea that as my phone plan would be £8 per month for 24 months, I could save money by paying off the phone with £192 (24x£8) and give notice on the airtime plan and walk away with the phone and will not need to pay for the actual cost of the phone.

Surely this cannot be right? And what status will my phone be at the end of this... Will it be still tied to O2 but SIM free?

If anyone can enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146890 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28261 Solutions
If the device plan really is £8 a month, yes you can do that.
You can apply to unlock your phone for free whilst under contract too, so you can then use any sim card.
Help links here:
Refresh - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093
Unlocking - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 146890 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28261 Solutions
If the device plan really is £8 a month, yes you can do that.
You can apply to unlock your phone for free whilst under contract too, so you can then use any sim card.
Help links here:
Refresh - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093
Unlocking - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

You can upgrade at any time on Refresh by paying off the handset and giving 30 days notice on the airtime. You don't need to upgrade with O2, you can ask for your PAC and simply walk away to any network. The phone is yours as you have paid for it in full. 

Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

If you are nearing the end of your contract then it won't be 24 payments, it will be whatever you owe on the handset. I would imagine that it's almost paid off by now? 

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 146890 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28261 Solutions
What phone were they offering you for £8 a month @Anonymous ?
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jonsie

I am nearing the end of the current contract and trying to sort out the next one and going to jump over to EE as they had a good deal.
Ckmw
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

An almost perfect Galaxy S7

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 146890 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28261 Solutions
I can't find an S7 listed on the website for that price but it might be a special retentions deal.
Ask for it in writing if you are interested in going for the offer.
Message 8 of 8