cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my password issues, not accepting secure passwords.

aca95pks
Level 3: Thinker
  • 62 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Hi, OK a few questions: 1. Why cannot paste a password? I use a password generator and the point is to copy and paste it so mistakes are not made on entry. You appear to have JavaScript to stop this but this is easily circumvented so just annoys people. 2. Your page says use a mix of numbers and letters and symbols, so why is 4PkVp!4E!#GNKkCZ not valid? Don't worry it's just an example and it won't be used but it doesn't say what it wrong just that it's wrong. Thanks, Paul.
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

Yes I would say those are pretty standard characters. If you are a pay monthly customer you can call Customer Services on 202 for free and speak to someone in technical support. Hopefully they can give you an answer. Good luck. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

I can only guess that certain symbols are not acceptable. Have you tried Last Pass? I use it on my laptop and it's very good. It's free and you only need one master password. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

aca95pks
Level 3: Thinker
  • 62 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Yep, I use lastpass but that doesn't get around the issues with the form. I could generate a password with no symbols but I'd prefer not to and if they say to use symbols then they need to say which ones aren't accepted. I'd say # and ! are pretty standard ASCII characters though slight_smile
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

Yes I would say those are pretty standard characters. If you are a pay monthly customer you can call Customer Services on 202 for free and speak to someone in technical support. Hopefully they can give you an answer. Good luck. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

They may be standard ASCII but not necessarily accepted by the underlying database. I know for a fact that the exclaimation mark is an absolute pain in oracle (and unix to that matter!) and won't be accepted as its a reserved metacharacter.

Message 5 of 7

aca95pks
  • 62 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
There should be no issues with any characters like that provided they are properly escaped for whatever database you're using, plus the password isn't stored in plaintext so won't go near the database in that form. It'll be passed to a function to hash/encrypt/whatever it beforehand. That function could be in the database however my first statement still stands. ...and still no-one from O2 has replied.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@aca95pks wrote:
...and still no-one from O2 has replied.

You will not get a personal reply from O2 on here. It's a community forum, not customer services.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7