cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Account details

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

My mum paid for my phone years ago when I originally set up my 02 account. Now that I have the money, I am paying for my phone, but need the account name and date of bith changed. 

Apparently, you need some proof? My name hasnt changed, just the payee. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can't change the name on the account.
What you need to do is wait until the contract is up and then take a new contract in your name.
Your Mum then needs to cancel her contract and transfer the number to your new account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can't change the name on the account.
What you need to do is wait until the contract is up and then take a new contract in your name.
Your Mum then needs to cancel her contract and transfer the number to your new account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Unfortunately the account name can't be changed. Best option is to continue paying with your account details until the contract is finished and take one out in your own name. The number can be transferred to the new account but your mum would have to do that for you.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, but here is the full issue...

I broke my current iphone - dropped it in water. I am eligable for an upgrade via the 'refresher' scheme. However, I am not sure if I can do this because the account name and date of birth is my mums and not mine, though I pay for the phone. 

They tried to upgrade me in store, but they said my mum needed to be there?

Message 4 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Any way you try, the account holder needs to be there
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Still the same as above, If you want an upgrade your Mum will have to do it but account will still be in her name.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, but here is the full issue...

I broke my current iphone - dropped it in water. I am eligable for an upgrade via the 'refresher' scheme. However, I am not sure if I can do this because the account name and date of birth is my mums and not mine, though I pay for the phone. 

They tried to upgrade me in store, but they said my mum needed to be there?

They are correct. The contract is in your Mums name therefore she has to be there....(Unless the contract is paid off in full)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Also you have to remember when you take out a contract you will have to undergo a credit check....

You will not have the same good credit rating as your mother if this is your first contract type agreement....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You could pay off the phone under the Refresh option and your mum could end the airtime contract. You would then need to pass a credit check and take the contract out in your own name. The number transfer can be done easily enough.

Message 9 of 9