Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Wifi Extra on London Underground

rich_b
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I have been using Wifi Extra to automatically connect to the London Underground wifi for the last couple of months, but now it's stopped working saying 'Connection Failure'.  I can still get onto the service though the Virgin wifi network, but you have to go through the splash page and it's easier to use Wifi Extra to automatically connect. 

Customer services have told me to reinstall the o2 wifi app, which I have done, but even with the app freshly installed, it still fails. 

I did also speak to someone in tech support who said it should be working, but he said Wifi Extra on the underground was for business users only, which I'm not sure about, as I've never had a business account, so I don't think it would have ever worked.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/legacy/my/extra

O2 Wifi just got better for O2 customers.

To ensure our customers have the best possible connection at all times, we’ve improved our O2 Wifi service. All O2 customers (with a compatible device and O2 SIM card) now have access to our new automatic wifi service.

Without the need to register, our new service will automatically connect you to one of our thousands of wifi hotspots, if this signal is stronger than 3G or 4G in that area. You don’t need to do anything. Just leave it to our smarter network; we’ll pick the right connection for you so you’re always getting the best experience.

Of course, you can still choose to connect manually to O2 Wifi whenever you’re in one of our hotspots by manually selecting O2 Wifi in your device’s settings.

Message 3 of 11

rich_b
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks @jonsie

I agree it is usually for all, but the phone customer service rep was implying it was limited to business customers on the underground in London, which I'm fairly sure wouldn't be right, but I wanted to double check if anyone had used it recently, in which case I'll go back into battle with O2. 

Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Never heard of that being the case before - have you changed sim of phone recently as not all phones can support EAP which is required to be linked to your sim card?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 11

rich_b
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
thanks for the response @MI5 Nothing has changed - I've not touched the sim card, it's worked fine for two months, then stopped (there's also not been any operating system updates or anything like that)
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Well no mention here that it's business only (in fact it specifically mention PAYG too), http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground so I would get back onto CS as I assume they must have changed something on your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

rich_b
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks again @MI5 I will try.  I don't think the person really knew anything about it, so just said I wasn't entitled to it, as they went away to 'check my account' about 4 times and only on the last time did they suddenly work out I wasn't entitled to it!

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sounds like the usual rubbish - keep trying until you find someone who knows what they are doing!

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @rich_b have you had any luck connecting to the Underground wifi service yet? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 11