cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I switch to the yearly upgrade programme?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im on the 5GB/month etc plan for my S7 Edge which is coming up to a year old. Can I now switch to the yearly upgrade programme and go after an S8?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

you can only switch by starting a new contract that meets the eligability criteria not half way through an existing refresh tariff i.e. you have to pay off the old handset first and start with the new handset on the yearly upgrade programme.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Assuming that O2 offer that for the S8 yes you can. You just need to hang on until the S8 is announced and then upgrade to the relevant tariff.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

you can only switch by starting a new contract that meets the eligability criteria not half way through an existing refresh tariff i.e. you have to pay off the old handset first and start with the new handset on the yearly upgrade programme.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Yes, should have said the upgrade would require you to pay off your device plan, as Adam has pointed out.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Tofolo_1
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

To answer your exact question - No you cant switch to the yearly upgrade program that the people who took out more expensive contracts are on.

However there are options and with O2 they are better than other networks. As they charge you for the handset seperatly every month you only need to pay off the handset amount and not the full monthly amount of airtime and handset like all the other networks would. This is what O2 call Refresh tariffs.

For example lets say you pay £40 a month in total for your handset and minutes etc. And say £25 per month is for the handset and £15 is for your minutes, data = Total £40.

> If at any time you want to upgrade then you just pay the £25 for the handset multiply by the amount of months left on your 2 year deal.

If this was on Voda, EE, 3 etc then they would ask you to pay the £40 times the amount of months left. 

If you want to be on the real yearly upgrade program you need to take the more expensive tariffs up front next time you renew. 

Message 5 of 5