Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best data sim???

Suzi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Guys. We have just bought a security camera for our caravan which requires a sim. We have been looking at the pay as u go big bundle data sims and the preloaded 12 month contract ones. The camera will not be in constant use as it only sends an alert when it detects motion inside the van. I have tried to ask the gurus but ended up here lol. Can anyone recommend which type would be best for what we need? And would be the best value for money?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Suzi 

If you want an honest answer - Not O2 !

Your only PAYG option will cost you £10 a month which sounds excessive for your usage.

ThreeUK do a PAYG called 321 which you only need to top up when you've used your credit and will be the cheapest option for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Suzi
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanx so much for replying @MI5. I’ve just had a look at the ultimate surfer bundle. It says it’s a 12 month plan and is £60 for 12gb and £75 for 20gb. Doesn’t give me any more info than that. Does that sound like it would b ok to u?
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Suzi 

Does your camera stream live video to your smartphone?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Suzi
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah, once it detects motion inside the van it will send An alert to the app on our phone. We can then go into the app and see live what’s going on
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Suzi 

I see, so OK you would need data.

How much really depends on how often you think you would get alerted.

I'm guessing not much, hopefully, so maybe the 60gb would be sufficient for you or you could just go monthly which would mean you could adjust your data allowance up or down each month?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Suzi
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
as u said about 3. I had a wee look and they are doing a preloaded sim with 24gb that runs for 24 months for £60. This is maybe stupid but is that a one off payment of £60 for 2 years? Then if I want to renew I can or if I run out within the 2 years I can add data to it? It’s surely no £60 a month eh?
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Suzi 

It means the data will last for 2 years or until you use it.

If you use it all you just top up as required.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Charles5
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Suzi

Can I ask what you did in the end and what worked best, please? I have a similar camera needing a sim.

Message 9 of 10

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6504 Posts
  • 48 Topics
  • 1472 Solutions

If it's only sending occasional alerts then Giffgaff without a goody bag may be an option 

I have one in my tracker which sends me alerts if there is unexpected vibration or if moved outside a ring fenced area. Plus some tracking data Cost me about £4 in the past 12 months.

The straight PAYG  none bundle options are becoming less and less. Tesco(soon to go) 1p mobile and I think ASDA may still do them

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 10