Did you mean: 

Alpha Tagging

MDW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

I have an issue registering my Natwest banking app on my shiny new Galaxy S9 and they have suggested it is due to alpha tagging. They actually said I should get it turned off but having read other posts elsehwere I'm begging to think I should perhaps subscribe or permit NW to use alpha tagging.

My provider (Sky) appear to know nothing about this and so I've come here to O2 as the carrier.Can anyone advise/suggest a course of action.

Thanks

MDW

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MDW
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just to complete this. I changed my number and it worked first time. I think the issue was that I tried to install the app before changing my number on my bank profile. Despite multiple assurances from Natwest I beleive my orignal number had been added to a 'potential fraud list' and the activation code was therefore being blocked.

Resolved!

Thanks all

MDW

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
@Martin-O2 ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MDW

I admit I had to look this up having no idea what alpha tagging was!

During my search, I noticed someone on the giffgaff community had exactly the same problem as you with their bank.

Have a look and see if this helps.

https://support.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Banking-App-Alpha-Tagging/td-p/19049756

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

MDW
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks - I saw that and read it but it was 'solved' by the bank admitting they had not done something. I've been on 5 lengthy chat sessions with 5 different support people at Natwest, the last one saying i should get my provider to disable akpha tagging ! So I'm not sure whats needed but just getting a suppor tline that knows anyhting about alpha tagging seem difficult.

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Never heard of alpha tagging before. I assume this is exclusive to Android or Samsung?
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MDW

Did you see this link (also from giffgaff), showing you how to change your alpha tags?

That problem was marked as solved...

https://support.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/changing-alpha-tags/td-p/18205365

https://www.messagemedia.com.au/products/alpha-tags

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

This is a new one for me to @MDW! Did you find the links provided by @Cleoriff helpful? If not let me know and I can ask our Guru team for assistance. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 12

MDW
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

No - the links given I had already found and didn't get me to a resolution. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Message 8 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

No problem @MDW! I'll drop you a PM to get a few details so the team can take a look at this and see what's going on. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 12

MDW
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just to complete this. I changed my number and it worked first time. I think the issue was that I tried to install the app before changing my number on my bank profile. Despite multiple assurances from Natwest I beleive my orignal number had been added to a 'potential fraud list' and the activation code was therefore being blocked.

Resolved!

Thanks all

MDW

Message 10 of 12