Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertisements on my 02 phone

JonnieR
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I am paying a small fortune for my handset and usage then I find I am bombarded with adverts ever time pick it up!

If the phone was free I would accept that I have to have adverts to pay for it - as in commercial television, but it's not free, so how do I remove the adverts!!!

If the BBC had adverts we woldn't pay a licence fee, but we do and it doesn't.

02, sort it out and don't tell me to buy an ad blocker, that's not an acceptable answer.

ps whilst typing this i have received the same advert 3 times, offering me an energy saving deal that i don't want and have already declined but there it is back on my phone again.

when I press 'home' symbol it goes to 02...so please don't tell me it's not your fault.

Instead, please tell me how to totally block the adverts on my 02 phone.

thanks

JonnieR

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@JonnieR it is entirely your fault and nothing that is controlled by any network at all.

You have downloaded an app or apps which contain airpush advertisements.

You need to download an app called Malwarebytes from your app store and run it once installed. It will identify any apps you have which contain malware, which should then be deleted from your phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@JonnieR it is entirely your fault and nothing that is controlled by any network at all.

You have downloaded an app or apps which contain airpush advertisements.

You need to download an app called Malwarebytes from your app store and run it once installed. It will identify any apps you have which contain malware, which should then be deleted from your phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
You can also go through the app/play store and review what has been installed.
My wife had something called the In Launcher that did this. She claims no knowledge but I bet she clicked something in one of the (many) games she has on her phone...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Disable apps one by one until you find the one that is giving you problems. Battery and data saving apps are renowned for it.

Message 4 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Also look for fake facebook messenger apps that was a culprit on a friends android phone thanks @viridis for the tips on that occasion 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 6

JonnieR
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for all the various messages of help.

I'll work though them and see how I get on.

JonnieR

Message 6 of 6