cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hopefully this guide will help with understanding why sometimes you may inadvertently send an MMS (chargeable) instead of an SMS (usually free from allowances).

First we need to understand the difference.

An SMS is a normal text only text message (short message service).

An MMS is an SMS that contains a picture, short video clip or any type of “media” (multi media service).

One standard SMS is 160 characters. Most phones have a character count (sometimes you need to go into settings and turn it on) that will display how many characters you have typed. 

It will be in the format “20/160”. If you go over  160 your phone will automatically add another blank SMS which doubles your character count to 320.

This will happen up to a maximum of 3 times meaning the maximum “single” SMS you can send contains 480 characters. However, it will take 3 SMS messages from your allowance, or charge you for 3 SMS messages.

If you go over 3 SMS (480 characters) your phone “might” auto convert to an MMS format which is because in MMS format, more data can be sent.

Again, on some phones, Samsung in particular, you can turn off the auto MMS conversion function if you don’t want it to happen. You can also set a “warning” that an SMS will be converted – watch for a pop up on screen when this happens.

Adding “Emoticons”

An emoticon is a smiley face, a thumbs up or any other tiny picture that many people like to add to their SMS messages.

THESE ARE THE BIGGEST SINGLE SOURCE OF ACCIDENTAL MMS SENDING.

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A simple smiley face or wink will use 90 characters.

With this in mind it is easy to see how just by adding 3 emoticons actually reduces your character count to only 210 letters (that’s not much!)

You can avoid this by inserting a smiley using keyboard characters rather than hitting the emoticon key and choosing a picture. A smile can be written as : ) or a wink as ; ) 

On some phones you will find 2 versions of emoticons (pretty ones and basic ones).

The basic ones will use less characters but you should always keep your eye on character count and auto MMS conversion.

Group Messages

Another popular way of sending an MMS unintentionally is by sending a group message.

O2 recommends that you send group texts in baches of five recipients to prevent this.

Turning Off

If you are not interested in sending (or receiving) MMS messages at all you can either turn off the option in settings (most phones provide this function) or disable the MMS apn.

Under your phones network settings you will see a section called “access point names” or “apn’s”. You will see either one or two apn’s listed. If you have two, the second one will be the MMS control. If you only have one the MMS control will be down the bottom of the apn settings. Just highlight the apn and choose “edit”.

Look for:

MMSC - http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy - 
MMS Port – 

and insert a * or # at the beginning of each line.

This will disable the apn completely but you will be able to easily edit it back again if needed at any time.

Alternatives

Other options are available these days and MMS is old clunky tech that can be avoided.

BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, Viber email etc are all popular alternatives for sending pictures, video’s and large files that will use your data allowance and therefore will prevent the additional charges generated by an MMS message.

I’ve tried to cover as much as possible in this guide, but as always, I will have missed a scenario, so feel free to add any more tips or instances where you have found an MMS appearing where you were expecting an SMS.

Link to O2 offcial advice here

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
A fantastic guide MI5. slight_smile

As an iPhone user I always use 'iMessage' to send such material to another iPhone user.
Message 2 of 35

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I am very impressed slight_smile

Amazing job MI5!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

What a star! Thank you @MI5 

Message 4 of 35

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

An excellent guide in clear and easy to understand language.  Very well preesented @MI5 

There is just one point I am slightly confused about. In the section headed "Turning Off" you give instructions on how to amend the APN as regards MMSC, MMS Proxy and MMS Port.  On my Galaxy S4 I have an APN called O2 mobile web which has the green button selected.  I take it this APN was automatically installed by O2, but the MMSC, MMS Proxy and MMS Port settings all say "Not set"  yet I can both send and receive MMS messages.  Am I misunderstanding something here?

Gerry

Message 6 of 35

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Gerry
You need to look at the second apn on your phone (the one without the green dot next to it).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 35

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've asked Toby to add it to the index thread jonsie....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Gerry
You need to look at the second apn on your phone (the one without the green dot next to it).

Thought you might say that @MI5 so whilst I have been waiting for your reply I did just that and added the * to the MMSC anb MMS Proxy lines.  The MMS Port line does not permit entry of other than numerals, a space,full stop, comma  or hyphen. But even with these revised settings sending MMS still works. 

Gerry

Message 9 of 35

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I've asked Toby to add it to the index threadjonsie....

Done slight_smile

I put it with the other guides starting with 'A', but let me know if you'd prefer it at the top or bottom.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 35