Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOL security changes - perplexing email

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi  Pals   & Palesses    AOL email re security has me puzzled . At first  the emails were thought to be poofs but now it seems security is chaning on Oct 20th. See a quote

Just in case you missed our prior emails, we’re letting you know that AOL Mail will no longer support third-party applications (such as third-party email, calendar, or contact applications that weren't developed by AOL) using outdated sign-in methods. We’ve noticed you might be using one, so we need you to make some changes before 20 October 2020.

What are 3rd party applications ?   AND  would this include entering AOL via Microsoft edge Favourites tab.

I dont understand the rest of the email re ways to change before Oct 20th, But lets start with the above first . Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions

@Jenny105 

It won't effect the way you access email through a web browser.

It just means that if you pull your email through another email client, such as outlook, you may have to change some settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions

@Jenny105 

It won't effect the way you access email through a web browser.

It just means that if you pull your email through another email client, such as outlook, you may have to change some settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

OK  got that. I used to do that - through Outlook. However I thought that had been cancelled. It hadnt been used for many months.

S0 - its ok to access AOL thru a favourites tab or search bar, but not thru Outlook

Cheers

Message 3 of 8

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi I withdrew the link between Hotmail and AOL until the deadline had passed.  Today I tried to renew the link for easiness but AOL is no longer listed as an account that can be linked. 

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions

@Jenny105 

Supported email clients here if you want to bring them all together in one place.

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks MI5.  I will go through this carefully.  Its become more difficult in recent years to understand the concepts of digital workings. The vocabulary is new.

@MI5 wrote:

@Jenny105 

Supported email clients here if you want to bring them all together in one place.

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in

I have a problem in conjuction with this question.  An Hotmail account became Outlook . I dont know if this changed in my account. Trying to do this recently I seem to be being told Outlook is part of  365 . I do not have . Is that going to be a peoblem with the Hotmail account. ?

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions
It's not a problem currently but who knows what MS will do with any apps that aren't part of 365 in the future?
There are other methods and apps you can use though so I wouldn't worry about it.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

TA      I use open office and have done for over 10years. works beautifully on the who.

Message 8 of 8