cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A brief overview of Tu (previously TuGo)

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

The important point to remember about Tu is that it replicates your UK allowances and call charges. Therefore, if it would normally cost you to call a number in the UK, it will still cost if using Tu and if it would normally be a free call in UK it will also be free when using Tu.

There are 2 main uses for Tu.

1 – Calls and texts when there is no mobile (cell) signal. Once connected to a Wi-Fi connection, you can use your phone as normal for calls and texts. Any calls made or texts sent will be taken from your tariff allowances. If you have exceeded your allowances, you will be charged your standard rates.

2 – Using to call home when abroad. Again, when connected to Wi-Fi you can use Tu to call or text any UK numbers for the same rates (or free) as you would when in the UK. If using Tu exclusively when abroad, there is no need to turn off voicemail so long as you call your mailbox through the Tu app over Wi-Fi it will be classed as a UK call. However, if you need to call a local number when in an EU country, it is cheaper to use the normal phone app otherwise you will be charged the full international rate if dialled through Tu.

Other usage models.

Apart from using Tu exclusively on Wi-Fi, it is possible to use it with a mobile data connection. This function is useful if you want to have a non o2 sim in your phone (effectively creating a dual sim device) or to use whilst travelling with a local data sim. In these cases, you need to turn OFF call fallback and leave your phone connected to the mobile signal as normal.

If you still have your O2 sim in your phone and have no need for mobile data you need to turn your phone to airplane mode then turn Wi-Fi back on and turn ON call fallback within the Tu settings.

This is a brief overview and is by no means exhaustive. Please ask any questions before you travel to avoid any costs incurred by misunderstanding of how Tu works, but always remember, if it’s normally going to cost you to call or text a number, it will still cost you the same with Tu.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Excellent work @MI5

I only use Tu when abroad. Could I ask about call fallback and aeroplane mode please?. I admit to never turning aeroplane mode on and if honest don't understand the need for it?

However...to clarify I have an apartment with working Wifi....and mobile data is always off when abroad..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
With airplane mode on there is no need to worry about accidentally using the phone network rather than Tu, so it's more of a safety net rather than a requirement.
With call fallback on in this scenario it will ensure calls are routed to Tu and not diverted to VM if activated.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Actually forget any references to call fallback on android as the latest update has removed that option.
I'll check if it's still relevant on iOS later.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Actually forget any references to call fallback on android as the latest update has removed that option.
I'll check if it's still relevant on iOS later.

The latest Tu update or Android update Rich?Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Tu update

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Great work @MI5 this is some really useful content! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Cheers Martin...
For info, call fallback is still a feature in iOS app.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8