cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Southampton coverage by when?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Does anybody know when O2 coverage is coming to Southampton? I have been told 'by the next month' a couple of times now.

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very nice. slight_smile
Message 11 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Not too far then. Maybe in testing phase.
Be wary of running too many speed tests as they use a lot of data wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
At 15mbs download speed it sounds like the area is in testing rather than full 4g. In another post another member has reported similar in Poole so it looks as though that area is almost there.

Please be careful not to run too many speed tests however tempting it may be as you will use a lot of data allowance doing so.
Message 13 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please keep us posted on how this goes for you.
Message 14 of 28

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

It's time O2 gave us some sort of schedule for 4G or at least a vague hint.

Message 15 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally can't see it happening. As 4G is no longer something you pay a premium for and most handsets are 4G ready you don't really need to plan ahead and it will just work when it's ready. If O2 published dates or even vague guidelines and for whatever reason they are missed, the amount of people it would upset wouldn't be worth it. People lose their minds over nothing on here, imagine the outraged threads we would have on here! It's an absolutely huge investment and infrastructure upgrade project so delays are just the reality of it. Managing expectations is a balancing act.
Message 16 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally struggle in the concept of failing to provide us CUSTOMERS an indication of when and where. O2 must have an idea.

Three issued a lost of areas to be upgraded this year so it can't be difficult surely.
Message 17 of 28

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I totally disagree @Anonymous 

If O2 won't give me a hint as to when 4G is coming to my area I'll just toddle off to EE who already have 4G coverage here. If they told me October for example then obviously I would think about staying with them. To give no indication other than around 2017 is pathetic.

Message 18 of 28

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
At 15mbs download speed it sounds like the area is in testing rather than full 4g. In another post another member has reported similar in Poole so it looks as though that area is almost there.

I'd settle for 15Mbps at the moment, things have really slowed down where I am in London on 4G, less than H+ speeds slight_frown

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 19 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like a transmission issue @aldaweb rather than signal. This affects everyone all around the country as the fibre backhaul is unable to cope.

O2 Are either not paying for enough Backhaul services OR the fibre network can't cope.

Watch out for Vodafone in the future. They own their own fibre network.
Message 20 of 28