cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 Travel in France

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have O2 Travel in France but need to know what settings I need to use on my iPhone to get full advantage of my data and call allowance while avoiding additional data roaming charges. The O2 helpline told me to turn off data roaming but if I do that I can't access my emails.
Many thanks
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

If you are using Wifi keep mobile data and data roaming OFF....

If you have no access to Wifi then turn data roaming and mobile data ON.

Remember your allowance costing £1.99 per day starts at 12mn to 12 mn UK time.....(an hour ahead in France)..

When I go to Spain (frequently) I keep data roaming off....unless I am out of a WiFi area and really need it. If honest unless you are going to a remote part of France you will always find WiFi...

Also make sure you turn voicemail off before you travel

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I think all your settings as they are will be fine.....

There is nothing else you need to do with a phone when using O2 travel (usually)

Of course the best advice is to use WiFi wherever possible. You can access emails and use the internet with that...as well as staying in contact with family members using messenger or Skype...all over WiFi...

It should be freely available in France...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks Cleoriff. Do I need to switch on dataroaming when not using wifi or will I be charged by other non O2 networks? Sorry if this is a daft question!
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

If you are using Wifi keep mobile data and data roaming OFF....

If you have no access to Wifi then turn data roaming and mobile data ON.

Remember your allowance costing £1.99 per day starts at 12mn to 12 mn UK time.....(an hour ahead in France)..

When I go to Spain (frequently) I keep data roaming off....unless I am out of a WiFi area and really need it. If honest unless you are going to a remote part of France you will always find WiFi...

Also make sure you turn voicemail off before you travel

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If you are monthly contract then use Tugo over wifi to use your allowances when texting or calling the UK. 

Otherwise follow the advice by @Cleoriff.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much. That is very useful.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I'm in France now using tugo and so far it has not cost me a penny. I'm on WiFi for data services so I don't even need the daily O2 travel charge.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7