cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Extra London Tube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I read that Wifi Extra is open to all the customers on the London underground, but when I want to access it asks me for an username and password to access the network, why? Where can I get the login?

thank you

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Tofolo_1
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have noticed over the last few weeks wifi extra not working so hopefully O2 are on it - i only visit london for work so i did not realise it was happening more and more.

But let me expalin how it works (normally). On the london underground there are two networks that "most" o2 customers should be able to use. 

1) Virgin Media wifi - This is the one that you can "choose" to access as a customer of O2 (and most of the main other networks have an option there as well). To get access to this wifi network you must 1st be an O2 wifi customer, do this by going to your local McDonalds or any other O2 wifi hotspot and sign up. Then you can go into the underground and connect to the Virgin Media Wifi - your browser will redirect you to a page where you select Virgin Media. I think you need to enter your mobile number when there but once done thats it - you should be able to use this no problem. Remember to use the same Mobile number you used to connect to O2 Wifi and make sure its an O2 number..

2) Wifi Extra - This is a bit of a "split" service and some people will have seen it above ground as well as below in the underground. They connect the same but the rules on connecting are clearly different so lets do them in order of this question asked.

1st up lets talk about how it knows to connect

Connection to Wifi Extra is managed by something called EAP SIM, thats basically your SIM card being used to enter the user name and password - its a really complex use name / passwrod so you would never know it or be told it as its the same type of password your phone uses to connect to the mobile network when walking about the streets - lets call this Mobile Grade Security. That means your data over 3G, 4G and Wifi Extra are super secure - not like normal public wifi which has more vulnerability’s. Also to connect, your phone needs to know its allowed to look for Wifi Extra (or any EAP SIM network ). Thats in your carrier settings on an iPhone (again hidden from you) and on other phones like Samsung’s, LG, etc its in the O2 software build so that means non O2 builds dont know to look for EAP SIM networks - so cant use it!! So think about it as your phone can find the "lock" in the door but only your SIM can open it with the "Key" - without both you aint getting on this network. And the info is so complex you cant enter it manually without a masters degree....So they dont have it to tell you. In fact they probably cant tell you as it would be a security breach to know that type of encryption. 

Providing your device has these:

Underground - Your phone should "look" for Wifi extra just like any wifi network it knows - remember your phone will have been pre programed to look for Wifi extra (the door). If it finds it then the SIM card has the Key and allows you access. On most cases this works fine and you will be connecting while underground at most stations. BUT as i say, i too have noticed it not working recently and trying to force the connection is just asking for a user name and pass word (the key) that I will never know....

Over ground (no one asked but its worth mentioning) - This is a completely different bit of kit and something networks around the world will use in different ways. However the way O2 use it is:

Connection is the same method but you can never choose to be on it. thats because they are using it to "support" the mobile network. Lets say 10 people are in an O2 wifi hotspot and all on O2. AND all of them are using 4G, the Wifi Extra network could step in and move 1 or 2 over to wifi Extra to provide the data all 10 need - remember its ultra secure so you have no worries about data and O2 get to offer you all a faster data experience just by mixing 4G and Wifi Extra to the group of 10.

> But you can never choose to join this one as you have no idea what is happening in the 2 networks and why it might move 2 out of 10 onto it. You dont know there is a large crowd coming down the road from a football game all swallowing up 4G or that a mast has failed or that there are 50 teenagers using O2 Wifi swallowing up the data so none of you could move to Wifi Extra. So above ground its just another 4G transmitter your phone can use.

Its different below ground as there is no mobile network to "balance" your service with so everyone with the right settings and sim should be able to use Wifi Extra non matter the speed.

In the meantime - i suggest you get connected to the Virgin Media SSID and select the O2 option as it works fine right now. 

Message 11 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks for that update @Tofolo_1 It adds information to the original thread you posted in 2014

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Wifi-At-London-Underground-Not-able-to-conn...

(We still use that a lot by the way...) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 14

Qba
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 wifi extra London Tube is rubbish

Message 13 of 14

Qba
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
WiFi extra doesn’t work. O2 don’t how provide wifi in undegorund.
Message 14 of 14