cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is blue tooth , how does it work and how would it help my hearing loss?

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi      Could someone explain  what blue tooth is please ? You will have to spell it out in lay persons language as these items have come in since I retired

How does it work with a phone and what critieria are needed to use it?

Ive been told bluetooth can help with hearing loss? How ? and with what type of phone or device ?

Thank you

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Bluetooth is a way of connecting two or more devices together to transfer data, sound or images between them.
All the devices have to be bluetooth enabled to work together.
Unfortunately, I don't know how it would help with hearing loss, but I'm sure Google would return some suggestions.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Bluetooth is a way of connecting two or more devices together to transfer data, sound or images between them.
All the devices have to be bluetooth enabled to work together.
Unfortunately, I don't know how it would help with hearing loss, but I'm sure Google would return some suggestions.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Certain Hearing aids use Bluetooth so will connect to your phone to make it easier for phone calls etc 

https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/iphone/hearing/ An apple article that may help 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 11

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Message 4 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thank you for the helpful replies.

Technology has moved on since i last went to our local resources centre (charity).

I read the articles and those of us who left the updating place called work struggle with words such as blurtooth, streaming , buds , roger pens and also the multifaceting use of items.

My hearing aid is NHS so theres little help with technology. The local hearing resourcs centre needs a some updating. But I'd like to look into this.  My only assistance device by Connevans does one job in busy surroundings . Its now 10yrs old  and probably past its sell by date and doesnt deal with modern needs.

I'll hunt around a bit more now I'm further down the track . Thanks for your upbeat advice 02 swingers

Message 5 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hello and another thank you.  

Ive read up on bluetooth online ad on this site. It sounds terrifying ! Problems after  updates and with linking

I havent found a post from a 'deafened' user about the usefulness of Bluetooth.I wonder how many of us just text.

Maybe this will make you smile smiling.

I grew up with a TV that had 1 then  2 channels in black and white. Channels were changed by getting up and flicking a switch.

No telephone until I was 18 .  No updates , No streaming , No failures and No constant availability. Arrangements  were made in advance . Once you;d left home there were no means to contact the people you were meeting if there was a hic cup.  

What a change the world has made !

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I can identify with all of that Jenny.
The only difference was that we had a landline telephone, which was paid for due to my Father's work, by his company.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I remember those days as well @Jenny105 In fact my parents were one of the first to get a TV in our street and were the envy of some of the neighbours.

Our nearest telephone box was two streets away..

We eventually had a landline installed when I became a nurse and was on callout for night shift emergencies.The hospital paid for the line rental...Smiley Very Happy

Now you see senior nurses in hospitals all carrying 'work mobile phones'....Certainly a change in times wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks for replying.  

Our phone box was 3 streets away. One evening my Mum was taken seriously ill.  I got on my bike and flew to the phone box but had no pennies for a call. The bus pulled in ' the stop. The conductor gave me 4d to phone the  doctor who came out.

I should have phoned the ambulance but one didnt do that in those days . Doctor first. No issues with overcrowded A&Es in those days ,,,,,,, but thats another story.

Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I long to go back to those days. You wanted to see a mate you got on your bike and knocked on his/her door or you made arrangements to meet somewhere the next day

Life was so simple then. Our TV had only one channel in flickering b&w then good lord it came to air. No need to change tv, we had a dial knob to flick round. Those days I think the one channel finished at 6pm. Watched the white dot disappear a few times. The BBC actually told us to do that to make sure that the broadcasting had finished or switch/unplug the toff so that the valves wouldn't overheat and we would get more life out of them

We had wooden valved radios which were the main source of entertainment, this was before the great invention of bakelite. Bakelite... even spell check underlines it and auto predict has never heard of it 😳

Those were the days.... rummaging on the tips taking the valves out of all the discarded tvs and radios so when yours went you looked in your collection for one that hopefully worked and looked similar. Ha! we were ignorant of danger 😂 Life was sooooo simple. 

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end..... 

I'd better stop now, I'm sounding like that TV programme All Our Yesterdays..... whatever happened to that?

I'm not even going to mention the lovely burnt toast on a toasting fork made on an open fire 🔥...... 

Message 10 of 11