cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Bolton advise?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I am going to Amsterdam on monday 20th February and just want to know wheather it will be worth adding the bolt on or not?

I am only going for 3 nights 4 days arriving back in the UK thursday late evening.

So should I get the bolt on as I would be using normal day to day apps like facebook, snapchat, instra ect...

so how much data allowence does the bolt on allow or should I just not bother and wait until I am connected to WIFI like o2 cloud if there a few around Amsterdam?

Also calls and texts, I am aware thar you get 120 mins and 120 texts for the allowence. I wouldn't be making any calls or texts tbh but lets say I dont use the bolt on how much would it cost if somebody makes a call or sends me a text because if I rememeber rightly when you're abroad it charges you even if you are not the one thats making the call or text basically it charges you for receiving things. And how much would it cost me if I wanted to do one call or just send the odd text?

I am new to a monthly contract so I dont want to be over paying on my contract and silly things when I may not need to.

My usual allowence is unlimited texts and calls and 3gb of data a month so can I use any of that whilst abroad or not with me being out of the U.K? Just wondering because my girl friend is on the network 3/three and she gets to use her unlimited data abroad and other things like texting and calls without any other cost.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It all depends on how much data and how many calls you'll be making.
Travel cost is £1.99 a day for 120 mins and texts and unlimited data (but usually very slow data).
Compare that to the standard rates shown here http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It all depends on how much data and how many calls you'll be making.
Travel cost is £1.99 a day for 120 mins and texts and unlimited data (but usually very slow data).
Compare that to the standard rates shown here http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

chrisymon
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

If you have the my o2 app. Bolt on can be added on there and all the information re data etc will be there for you to digest. Always better to be covered when travelling as you could incurr high charges if you opt out.

"I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited." Currently using S7 edge
Message 3 of 10

Markojemo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 52 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm just back from Amsterdam last week there. Roamed on the KPN network and had a 3G signal most of the time. For basic whatsapp messages etc it was grand, pictures on whatsapp, facebook, snapchat took a while longer than usual to load. When inside a building or when the signal got down to 1 bar of 3G there was no mission of sending a picture etc. My partner is on EE and she roamed onto KPN as well, full 4g signal and blazing fast.

Make sure you download the map of Amsterdam for offline use in google maps before you go. That way if you have rubbish signal you can still get directions and stuff.

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can use TU over wifi for calls and texts back to the UK which come from your allowances but if you are going to use data then O2 Travel makes sense for you. You are probably opted in for O2 Travel which is the default though you can compare the standard rates here:

Capture.JPG

If you remain opted in then you need to realise that any single text, any small amount of data or a single phone call will trigger the charge for the whole day but if you are travelling around or you don't have wifi at all times it would make sense to use Travel considering the length of your stay.

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just a final thought, if you are going by ferry then switch off mobile data as the ferry companies charge exorbitant amounts for data which aren't covered by O2 Travel.

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We also have a guide to O2 Travel here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Your-guide-on-how-to-use-O2-Travel/ba-p/10... which may be useful for you to read when deciding.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

okay thanks

£1.99 for unlimited data usage for one day along with the texts seems great tbh. May as well do that. If I wasnt to use the bolt on and I certainly wasn't going to ring anyone or text until I got back to the UK, would it cost me to pick up the phone if someone is ringing me or receiving a text?

cheers.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Receiving calls and texts are free - You only pay for sending.
Also receiving calls and texts won't invoke the £1.99 daily charge either. It's only when you make a call, text or use data and only charged on the actual day used, so if you don't use it everyday, you will only be charged for the days you do use it.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

chrisymon
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Yeap defo on that one had a custiomer that didnt even get on a ferry was waving someone of to france must of picked up to ferry signal or something and got charged 75.00 thats a very expensive wave off 

"I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited." Currently using S7 edge
Message 10 of 10