cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login as username (email) could divert messages from closed O2 email accounts

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to know if the "login as username" facility could be used to divert emails from defunct O2 email accounts. :robotfrustrated:

I have asked a business to reset a password but I can't retrieve their message as they are trying to send it to my O2 email address, which has been shut down. I also couldn't change the email address to send the password reset message to as I have another account with the same business which already uses my preferred email address.

Therefore, I am asking if you could route my <...@o2.co.uk> email account to my <...@gmail.com> login address, please. The email address used for the "login as username" facility doesn't seem to be used for any purpose other than logging in, so confirming that it is valid seems quite pointless as this doesn't link the address to any O2 services.

To me this seems fair as I am guessing that O2 staff retain their <...@o2.co.uk> email addresses while the other (former) O2 email users lose out. To retain usernames on the <...@o2.co.uk> mail server purely for the purposes of forwarding emails should in theory not be too difficult as it has been done by many other businesses, usually after a change of company name. This would mean that the O2 email interface for the general public could remain shut down while the affected users would still be able to receive emails that, for one reason or another, it was impossible to divert prior to the closure of their O2 email accounts last month.

What do you think of this idea? Cat Indifferent

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You will not be able to do this as o2 staff are @o2.com and not @o2.co.uk

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you think of this idea? Cat Indifferent

Wacky, it won't happen.

Unless you are (or were recently) an O2 Broadband customer the webmail service is closed.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi habitaddict,

Great suggestion and I'll pass it on, although i'm not sure if it'll be possible at the moment. I'll still give it a go though slight_smile

It's always great to hear ideas from you guys, so by all means keep it up if you have any more cool suggestions.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 12

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Great that your doing that Toby, but I'll take bets that it won't happen. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@perksie what odds will you give me 1-100 I recon

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 12

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think you could name your own price on this one. slight_smile

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

I think you could name your own price on this one. slight_smile

I agree. O2 are trying to shut the service down, not subject themselves to an onslaught of mail forwarding queries!

Message 8 of 12

bluescreener
  • 81 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Using an ISP's email service is probably the worst thing you can do for important emails. You move ISP - you lose. The ISP sells the business on and re-brands - you lose (think NTL ->

Virgin Media).

Much better to have an separate email account, even if it is Gmail, Live Mail or Yahoo. Or spend a little money and use a dedicated service.

At the trailing edge of technology.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, sorry for contributing a bit late.  

I was an contented current O2 BB customer until my BB switch to sky burst my own little bubble on 30Dec13.  

Looking at http://www.o2.co.uk/o2email webpage

in the 

Do I need to do anything? section (copied below for convenience)

it seems to suggest that mail forwarding is available.  

Anyone tried it out?

Update any online accounts – If you use your o2.co.uk email address as your username/login for any online accounts, you'll need to update them with a new email address (you may already have one or need to create one with another email provider). You will need to do this before Friday 1 November.

• Transfer your o2.co.uk email to an alternative such as Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo!
  • Gmail, Yahoo! and Hotmail all include the ability to automatically import all of your stored emails from your o2.co.uk email account.
  • You can set it up so new emails sent to your o2.co.uk email will also be automatically sent to your new account, so once you've followed some simple steps, you'll no longer need to check your o2.co.uk email account.
  • After 1 November 2013 no more emails will be received by o2.co.uk, so it's important that you send an email to all of your contacts, telling them your new email address.
Message 10 of 12