Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data services not working when travelling abroad

MichaelMa
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently travelled to Argentina and Brazil.  I purchased the Travel bolt-on before I left.  This worked for calls and texts, but not data.  Even though I had enabled data roaming on my iPhone 5S I kept getting a message that I was not connected to the data service, so couldn'r receive emails or browse the web.  Why should I have had these problems?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Having the 4g switch on can cause problems on some foreign networks but you might also have the wrong data bolt on.
What is your data apn in settings?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

MichaelMa
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Data APN is idata.o2.co.uk. I also tried toggling between 4G and 3G, however this did not help...
Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Call customer services and ask them to check if you are on iData or standard data.
If you've previously had a different phone or swapped sims/upgraded, it could be wrong.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @MichaelMa Where in Brazil did you go to? slight_smile It's still on my to-do list for the future! Did you manage to find out about your data in the end?

Message 5 of 6

MichaelMa
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
We went from Rio to Manaus by cruise ship. I didn't solve my problem but you could follow the advice above to see if it helps. PS - I am reluctant to call the helpline as it is always such a long and usually unhelpful process...
Message 6 of 6