Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preparing a device for sale - desktop or phone

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi I'm thinking of selling my desktop and /or phone.  Both are owned outright .  

I'd like to know how to protect myself. Is there a trusty website that can advise on the subject below;

Protecting  files (docs, pictures etc) from the buyer. These can be saved to an external drive.  Then deleted on the device. But is this safe enough. Only one or two items contain slightly sensitive info. Will these be unrecoverable if   sold?

Any advice re internet files?

Does this work the same way with phones?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Jenny105 anything stored on your hard drive can be recovered with the correct software.

There are programs you can get which will deeply erase info, but if it was me, I would sell without the hard drive. 

It all depends on the nature of the files you have on there.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144096 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Jenny105 anything stored on your hard drive can be recovered with the correct software.

There are programs you can get which will deeply erase info, but if it was me, I would sell without the hard drive. 

It all depends on the nature of the files you have on there.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23039 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions
@Jenny105 Take a look at this link to prepare your phone. It covers Android, IOS, and Windows phones: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-wipe-your-phone-or-tablet-before-selling/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105 

I have just retired and recycled two old Laptops. Open and take out the battery first.

Then take out the hard-drive.  Not difficult to do on a Laptop.

I Googled to check on how to first.  No doubt you can do the same for the desktop.

I shall be taking the advice regarding the mobile phones mentioned here as

I have three to recycle.

Good Luck 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 5

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
That's what I was thinking...…..
or take it back to shop I bought it from and ask them what refurbishment involves for resell. Ask them to buy it.
There's very little that's an issue just one file that with lengthy research and understanding my coding could be of value...….. but no passwords
Message 5 of 5