Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Other Devices

Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: new Nokia Lumias

Not that I care about the exclusivity thing but the question is whether the sim free version is going to be available without a lockout period. If there is a lockout then for me, it's dangerously close to the new Blackberry 10 launch which will sway my cash that way. 

Anonymous

If you're buying sim free it doesn't matter whether O2 are selling it straight away or not, just get it from Expansys or Amazon.

Out of interest, are you currently a blackberry user? I don't think I've ever met someone who was on the fence about blackberry. Most people are either in the "you'll pry my blackberry out of my cold dead hands" camp, or the "who the hell would want one of those" camp Smiley Happy

Level 1: Joiner

Yeah, i read that as well. lthough i also read that there could be cheaper non-LTE versions available for Europe.

Lets hope that if the LTE 920 is an EE exclusive, that the non-LTE/3G one is available on O2

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're buying sim free it doesn't matter whether O2 are selling it straight away or not, just get it from Expansys or Amazon.

Out of interest, are you currently a blackberry user? I don't think I've ever met someone who was on the fence about blackberry. Most people are either in the "you'll pry my blackberry out of my cold dead hands" camp, or the "who the hell would want one of those" camp Smiley Happy

I'm hoping it will be available at launch but you never know what's been agreed.

Indeed, I am a BB user for about 3 years. Great phone especially as I live in a non-3G region  where the compression of BIS has more than proved its worth over GPRS (occassionally EDGE depending on which way the wind blows). Sadly, its heading on its way out and to be honest, I don't feel an upgrade to the current BB models is actually worth it when OS5 does all I need. Going up to a new O/S would be worth it to me though the obvious data issue is still apparent regardless but the benefits of BIS via other methods isn't so distinct anymore. 

Also got the XDA Zest (Win Mob 6.1) which is heading towards destruction so again, Win8 is a good move to upgrade maintaining compatibility with the MS Office stuff I'm fond of. Kind of at the point where its one or the other given the amount of cash to pay out!

Saying that, I've just bought a BB Playbook and it's very good if you don't mind the lack of app issue. Also Swayed by the fact that having the BB phone as a remote controller turns it into an even better gadget which is making me think to hold on for the BB10 phones!

Maybe a cheap current Lumia is a good compromise...

So, EE, EverythingEverywhere's 4G network brand has been announced.

If you look on their website (EE.co.uk) you'll notice some handsets listed.Not that the Galaxy S III is listed as "Samsung Galaxy S III LTE" to differentiate it from the 3G only S III currently available on the other networks. They do the same thing with the Nokia Lumia 920 & 820, adding "LTE" to the name. Could this be confirmation that there WILL be non-LTE versions available for other networks? I hope so.

As much as i'd love 4G, I wont be switching to EE. Firstly because I'm more than happy with O2. OK, the 3G is dodgy at home (infact outside of any city its dodgy), but there service is excellent. Plus, even if i do switch now, i won't benefit from 4G as London is the closest EE 4G "4GEE" city to me and even thats an hour away.

Windows Phone 8 will also compress pages you browse to make them load better/faster so maybe you could ditch BB and #SwitchToLumia afterall ;-)

Thanks for that will hold on then. Just found out that the new Lumia's are exclusive to EE. Amusingly EE's site is saying the Lumia is 920/820 LTE when its standard! Marketing for you.....oh interesting, the 920 has popped up on Expansys now under pre-order.
Anonymous

@sheepdog wrote:
oh interesting, the 920 has popped up on Expansys now under pre-order.

I wonder what the retail price for the 920 is going to be. My bet's on £500. I think that's what the Lumia 900 was when it was first released. I almost hope that O2 don't decide to sell it, because then I have to decide whether to buy it myself and do a SIM only plan, or be tempted by the short term attraction of the subsidy Smiley Happy

Yes, the new Lumias have LTE but there have been suggestions that cheaper/non-LTE models will be available for Europe.

As i said above, the fact that the Samsung Galaxy S III is being listed by EE as "LTE" to indicate that it'll be the LTE version, not the standard UK one, could suggest that the "LTE" in the name of the Lumia 820 & Lumia 920 will have non-LTE versions available in the UK for other networks, and that only the LTE models will be EE exclusives

Anonymous

@Salem874 wrote:

Yes, the new Lumias have LTE but there have been suggestions that cheaper/non-LTE models will be available for Europe.

Interestingly, in the technical details on the Expansys page ( http://www.expansys.com/nokia-lumia-920-black-236807/ ), it doesn't list LTE. Not really conclusive (since they don't have a date or a price either, so they probably know about as much about it as we do Smiley Happy ), but it could be a sign that there will be a cheaper non-LTE version, which is also maybe a foot in the door for O2 to carry it (i.e. maybe EE only have an exclusive on the LTE version).