cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - anyone taken/taking the plunge?

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been running Preview for developers on my phone without issue (Other than the minor delay updating to Cyan which wasn't an issue)

PFD has now been replaced by the 'Windows Insider Program' If you have a PC or tablet running Win7, 8, or 8.1 you can update to Windows 10 now (As off yesterday) Obviously it'll be Beta and you take your chances.

https://insider.windows.com/

Windows 10 for phones will be available in February, gotta feeling my trusty 925 will be taking the plunge.

Anyone already updated their PC/Tablet (If so what do you make of it?) or planning on updating their phone as soon as it's available?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows 10 installed from the off, and now upgraded with the latest ISO, no issues running it at the moment. Running as a VM and seems ok. Not sure about the DX12 comment, being as its still Beta. I would not want this running as a primary workstation. As I said earlier, spin it up as a VM and play with it, gets you some idea of what the look and feel is. M$ Office apps, Word, Excel and PowerPoint were made available for testing purposes as well. Give it a try. 

Message 21 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will not be putting it on my phone i need it,

the pc version yes as iv`e built my own desktop pc`s and have laptops and have reinstalled windows meny time`s, on the subject of directX12 this is new code, present pc`s run DX11 used by CPU and more so by the GPU , the next GPU`s will be being built now and to run it some hardware will req upgrading or windows 10 will run on DX11.

the same is likely of the windows phone the best phone to run windows 10 mobil will be the next flagship phone to be released later this year as it will be manufactured with hardware to make the best use of the O/S

Message 22 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 23 of 30

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've had it in a Virtual Machine for 3 months or so now, on my Windows 7 laptop.  Whenever I've used W10, it has been stable (apart from one of the updates to the preview that I had to install from scratch, which is really simple in a VIrtual Machine).  It happily runs programs that are as old as XP, as well as new ones.  The start menu works well and I can see that Microssoft do appear to want to get it right this time, are listening to feedback and improving things.  New broom at the top, more ready to try things out.

I watched the presentation that MS gave a couple of weeks ago about Windows 10 and the future;  I'm looking forward to it.

Reading articles and forums on many computer magazines, there seem to be many tens of thousands of people running Windows 10 as their main operating system, and loving it.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 24 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seen this on the web today,

The tipster wrote: "Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones (8.15.12495.44) will be released on Monday, February 9 at 9am PST." That's noon on the East coast of the States and 5pm in UK, if you fancy keeping an eye out.

Not for everyone

It won't be a general release though, with only "Microsoft Insiders" gaining access to the technical preview - basically those who are part of the firm's fan club.

NokiaPowerUser is quick to highlight the information hasn't come from one of its regular sources, so we're taking the report with a hefty pinch of salt - but we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for any hint of a release.

If this is true we will soon know eny time now.

Message 25 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

nokiapoweruser got it wrong the other day, but now today the day but only for some the good news is they won`t let you brick your 930 you cant have it at the moment, here`s the list that can try it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-preview-only-these-lumias-are-eligible-todays-release

redone there are some video`s on windowscentral showing win 10 on a phone .

Message 26 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122926 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

nokiapoweruser got it wrong the other day, but now today the day but only for some the good news is they won`t let you brick your 930 you cant have it at the moment, here`s the list that can try it.

lihttp://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-preview-only-these-lumias-are-eligible-todays-releasest that can try it.

You need to input that link again @Anonymous  at the moment it is showing Page Not Found. it does take you to the Nokia website...but as I say with an error message...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the moment some are not to bad running win 10 but some have had major problems and have had to recover there phones, and these are guys that have been doing beta testing for some time with microsoft.

Message 28 of 30

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Are you any closer to deciding whether to try it @Anonymous ?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 29 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not on my present phone if i upgrade then i my try on my old phone, but i would not recommend eny one try it on there every day phone, bear in mind this is not preview & developer nothing like it were as one user may have no problem another could we don`t have or use the same app`s or setup our phones the same, hence the testing.

Message 30 of 30