cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling on Poco F2 Pro (or MIUI generally)

Palazzo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does any one know if WiFi and/or 4G calling is possible on non-O2 supplied MIUI devices like mine?

It is enabled in my account, but there's no option to permit it under my SIM card settings, so I'm assuming not. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35768 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Seems it should be possible, @Palazzo 

Have you checked in your MyO2 that it is enabled for your SIM (assuming you are on Contract)?

It also needs to be enabled on your account by customer service (regardless of what your MyO2 says), so call them first to check.

Numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

You then need to wait 24 hours and reboot your phone to find the settings to turn it on.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Palazzo 

You need to check here if your device is supported with O2 (First blue link)

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling 

I've quickly skimmed the list and can't see it. They do add new devices when they are able to ensure the software is compatible and the list may be out of date, so it's worth giving them a call on the numbers given by @pgn 

I will also tag @Chris_K to the post. He will know if your device is supported (or in the process) He won't be on until tomorrow now though.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

Palazzo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff , @pgn .

I contacted Customer Services who said it was enabled on their side (though I'm not fully convinced they knew what I was asking about - they just said "WiFi is enabled).

It's not critical - i just have a poor O2 signal at home and it would be nice to have this as back up.

I'll wait and see if @Chris_K can add anything.

Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Palazzo 

If O2 have told you that its enabled into their side then go into MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

and you should see this.....

wifi calling myo2.PNG

Click on the part highlighted in yellow and see what happens.

Edited to add...If it doesn't work then it's probably not supported.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

Palazzo
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff .

I had already checked this and it is enabled.

As mentioned above "It also needs to be enabled on your account by customer service (regardless of what your MyO2 says)" which is what I've seen in some other posts on the subject, hence I also called CS.

I think it's just that my device was not O2 supplied and my firmware doesn't support O2's WiFi/4g calling so maybe I'm just out of luck.

Message 6 of 7

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Palazzo wrote:

Thanks @Cleoriff .

I had already checked this and it is enabled.

As mentioned above "It also needs to be enabled on your account by customer service (regardless of what your MyO2 says)" which is what I've seen in some other posts on the subject, hence I also called CS.

I think it's just that my device was not O2 supplied and my firmware doesn't support O2's WiFi/4g calling so maybe I'm just out of luck.

Hey there, sorry for the delay - I was on holiday last week.

With non-O2 devices unfortunately there's no hard and fast yes/no, as in some cases it does work and in others not, and it often comes down to the software. The way Wifi Calling is implemented can differ across networks and for some networks on some devices, it may need tweaks or changes in the software to make it compatible. In the case of Poco, because this isn't a vendor we work with, we don't have any direct collaboration with them on software so in these instances, I'm afraid it's one of those 'it's not officially supported and it hasn't been tested, but if it works - awesome. If not, we're really sorry but it's not compatible'.

Sorry, I know that's likely not the answer you hoped for, but I'm confident it's a software compatibility issue and because O2/Poco don't have a relationship with one another, it's unlikely the device will ever be supported I'm afraid.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 7 of 7