cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What on EARTH is going on here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a bit of a saga so bear with me......

In summary, my Mum's (2G Doro 612) phone has stopped working for voice calls (texts are OK) at home, where she gets network busy, but works everywhere else it has been tried - which is numerous other places/towns in the surrounding area.  We know for certain O2 are doing 4G upgrade work in the town at the moment so it's beyond doubt they have a case to answer, and a complaint has been raised. We have had the usual "service may be disrupted" warnings - but that shouldn't amount to 3 weeks continuous outage at their house. My Mum has never had any issues previously.

Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on what might actually be happening?

Detail:

*My mums phone springs to life if you drive a bit in any direction - including to my house which is about quarter of a mile away. There is a O2 mast located between us and it's the closest one to both of us too.

*My Dad has a Doro 615 (which is 3G) which works fine at their house, and my Mum's SIM works fine in my Dad's phone. My Dad's SIM doesn't work in my Mum's phone at home.  

*They have an old Nokia spare phone and if you put either of their SIMs in that, it doesn't work at their home either. The Nokia also springs into life if you take it elsewhere with my Mum's SIM in it too, like the Doro.  

*I also have an old spare 2G Nokia on O2 and have no problems with it in my house (haven't tested it at theirs - didn't seem much point)

*Ergo, the common denominator is older 2G phones in the vicinity of THEIR house, but not at mine or surrounding areas/towns. Nevertheless, O2 tried blaming the Doro phone, which has been back to Doro, and come back OK (no surprise there then!).

*O2 have also replaced my Mum's SIM which made no difference. No surprise there either given the phone/original SIM worked everywhere else!

*O2 coverage map for their house and ours gives good (5 bar) indoors/outdoors for 2G and 3G.

Our best theories are:

1. Whilst O2 have been doing their thing with 4G, they have wound down (temp or perm?) the capacity on the 2G network in this area without openly admitting it - and it just so happens my Mum and Dad are in the wrong little bit of town.

2. A variation on the above where 2G capability has been switched fully off on the mast which lies between us. The O2 coverage map shows there is another mast within quarter of a mile on OUR side of town, but not theirs.  i.e. I was thinking it's just possible a 2G phone in our house is picking up service from that other mast - even though it's a bit further away.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Good to hear service is back again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 13

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Good news and hopefully O2 will give you some form of credit onto the account. Give them a call and request it.

Message 12 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Good to hear after four weeks without service...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 13