cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Smart 4 mini (unlocked and using with o2) - Unable to change or delete APN settings

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bought this phone as a temporary replacement.

Unlocked it to use with my o2 pay monthly sim.

Now heres the problem, the phone is not connecting to the internet when im out and about (no issues with wifi). 

I have gone into the 'access point names' menu and I have four settings saved - o2 pay & go ; o2 pay & go mobile broadband; TESCO mobile (i have no idea why this one is on there as phone has never been used before and i've never had a tesco sim) and o2 MMS.

It wont allow me to delete any of them and when I select 'New APN' I can input all the required information but when selecting 'Save' it does not register.

I am hoping someone has had this problem and managed to overcome it...

Tested an o2 PAYG sim and the APN settings were sent straight away. 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you try texting ACTIVE to 2020 , save the settings and reboot the phone.

THats if O2 support send the settings message to that make of phone.

A self help thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Servi...
Message 2 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The phone is picking those settings off the sim (tesco settings are included), if all you have is PAYG settings it would suggest you have a PAYG sim card so you may wish to pop into an O2 shop and swap it for a contract one. The shop will deal with the sim swap for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried that, getting this in reply: Unfortunately we had problems with your request for settings. Please contact customer service 😕
Message 4 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Definitely a contract sim my man.

Was using it on my old nokia lumia and now on this one.
Message 5 of 33

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Ok if you are sure but I've seen it before wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm very sure.

Have had the sim nearly five years.
Message 7 of 33

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Can't offer you anything else then.
2020 won't work because O2 don't support Voda specific handsets.
It will also have Voda firmware on it which will lock out any manual changes (hence why you can't save any manual inputs) so the phone is useless to you on O2 network.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not the case at all.

Tested an o2 PAYG and it sent the APN settings straight away.
Message 9 of 33

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The only long shot I can think of is if there is a generic or rooted ROM available on XDA that you could install which would get round the issue of saving a new apn manually.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 33