Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair condition of second hand mobile phone sales

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mobile phone sales

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Right now there is no option with the mobile phone operators to transfer ownership of a mobile phone, therefore a second hand phone can be blocked by the original owner simply by quoting the IMEI number and having that phone reported lost or stolen.

I call that the mobile operators make a change in the industry to allow us to buy second hand phone so that they truly would be ours.

It should be a criminal offence to block some one else's phone.

Please vote for this change so that your second hand phone is more secure, and not open to someone else blocking it.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67125

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That's just ridiculous!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does seem rather unfair
Message 12 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There's no wonder it's so common if the police can't do anything about it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't or can't be bothered that is the question
Message 14 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Police rarely get involved in civil matters these days. They believe in self help for those matters.

Tis poor though as it is still potentially a crime.
Message 15 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I can't understand why something like this hasn't been implemented a long time ago. It should be treated exactly like selling a car.

I support this petition and agree the law is moving far too slowly to keep up with fraud that can be perpetrated with re-sale of mobile phones.

I don't agree with the idea that 'mobile phone sales should be banned from some auction sites' as personally I have bought some damn good mobiles through this route. I agree that there should be legislation in place to stop unscrupulous sellers ripping people off though.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 29

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Same post on the Voda forum, and funny how the responses differ - O2 users seem to be in favour, Voda not so much.

ewan

Message 17 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I support a practice that would both support the seller and buyer. slight_smile

What are the reasons some on Voda not supporting it ?
Message 18 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

a reputable store is teh only answer so "IF" a phone is blocked you can take the phone back providing you still have teh recipt showing the IMEI a shop such as CEX will allow you to do this as they use check mend service wich is a payed service and allows them to check the phone, weather its in contract or not etc. They take teh risk and if the phone does get blocked they will give you a refund or exchange then they will contact the relevent auth's as it would then be fraud! 

so in answer use a reputable re seller not ebay or gumtree of facebook selling sites! 

Message 19 of 29

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

I get the impression they just feel it would be impractical/unenforcible.

I think essentially what is needed is an HPi style check for mobile phones. An HPi check makes sure cars aren't still being paid for on finance, as regardless of who holds the V5, the finance company own the car, and verifies thing like mileage, crash damage etc. 

I guess a scenario would be a phone being taken out on Refresh and being sold before the plan has been paid off - O2 finance, or whoever arrange it, own the phone and can quite rightfully block it if the original purchaser fails to keep up the payments.

ewan

Message 20 of 29