cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card for abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received my o2 PAYG tablet sim card for my unlocked TP-LINK M7350 Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot I bought for our holiday.

It works fine with my o2 pay monthly contract on my windows phone. I need to know if this sim card works abroad before I load it up.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
If you are just topping up with credit, yes, but not if you buy any packages with data s they are UK use only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

To avoid all risk of that (back in the day before I had wifi in my apartment in Spain) I bought a local sim and put that in a dongle connected to the PC. Of course my HP Slate gives me a mobile data allowance which can be used at home and abroad (HP Datapass) .....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
A local sim will be way much cheaper too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
A local sim will be way much cheaper too.

Mine cost between 15-20e for a months allowance....so well worth it at the time

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
5gb for 15 Euro in France - and all calls and texts are cheaper too than in UK.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the help.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “If you are just topping up with credit, yes, but not if you buy any packages with data s they are UK use only”.

The sim card has no credit at all at the moment. If I bought 1GB of data (lasts for 1 month) for £10.00 it would work in Greece?

I would like to take some data allowance with me. Just in case, before I try a local data sim card.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If I bought 1GB of data (lasts for 1 month) for £10.00 it would work in Greece?

No, the allowances (in this case 1gb of data) are for UK use only.

You would need to add more money as credit and then your data useage abroad will come out of that credit - very expensive as I said above.

As suggested, you are better off taking your dongle and getting a Greek sim card whilst out there which will give you an allowance such as you get with O2 in the UK.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Any data package you buy is for use only in the UK. If you use Data every day in Europe you will be charged £1.99/day though speeds vary depending on the country you are in. Outside Europe it's a massive  £6/MB and a local sim or wifi is the way to go.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Based on everyones experience with EU date and O2 travel, I wouldn't recommend using it now.
Better to opt out and pay as you go then at least you won't be throttled, but it will cost a lot.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10