Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shattered screen / laptop not phone

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hiya     without going into details wink the screen on my HP  Pavilion 4 yr old laptop has shattered. A pretty coral dimension to it !

1 Can laptop screens be replaced?

2 Is it worth replacing it if it can be

3 My godson can retrieve the files lost (since last back up)  does this make a difference to the above 2 querirs

Many thanks

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Laptop screens are really easy to change.
I've done loads over the years for friends, neighbours and even buying broken laptops off ebay, repairing them and selling on for profit.
I generally used to buy new screens off Amazon and depending on the model are around £40.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Laptop screens are really easy to change.
I've done loads over the years for friends, neighbours and even buying broken laptops off ebay, repairing them and selling on for profit.
I generally used to buy new screens off Amazon and depending on the model are around £40.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Tsidkenu1es
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 79 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Wave @Jenny105 

Just look at some videos in YouTube - how to replace the screen of your Laptop HP.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgIW7IwwJ38

All the best to you

One Family * One Community * One Love * One Purpose
*************** UNITED ONE WORLD ***************
***** LOVE***********PEACE************JOY*******
* The Future Is In Our Hearts Our Minds And Our Souls *
Message 3 of 6

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

The laptop was a reconditioned one. So Ive rung the store for a quote. If they have a suitable screen on site. To  swop it over  40.00. To get one in will cost 80.00.  For ease of purpose I might go for this option.

My godson would do it for me Im sure but time consuming. Getting hold of a good screen might be hazardous. Ive recently had bad experiences with ebay. Im not sure what Im looking for it could be counter productive to use this route.

The body of the laptop might not be damaged. Hope lies in just being able to see the sign in page, but cant sign in due i hope to the screen damage only.

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It really is a half hour job and the £40 you have been quoted is a good price. Even the £80 is reasonable for fitting a brand new one.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 6

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Short resume. The costs rose with amount of damage. The stress of getting a kosker screen & fitting it myself wasnt feasible.
So I bought a noteboook. Tablets and phones for travel research dont suit me. My old travel item is out of date.
The insurance review is underway. The ins co accepted the bizarre circumstance. So I'll get screen dosh, or machine dosh back if damage extends to hard drive etc.. Which will help towards new costs.
Message 6 of 6