cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last Friday morning I turned my phone on but noticed the screen was not displaying properly and there was a crack on the screen.  

I contacted 02 customer services explaining circumstances and in no way had I damaged it myself (took photos for evidence proving no physical evidence of damage to phone) and arranged for phone to be sent to repair centre. I was also told that the phone had a twelve month warranty in which I purchased handset in April 2015.

I had to pay for tracked service as 02 free delivery postage not tracked so wanted to ensure it arrived safely.

Anyway got an e-mail today from  o2 mycare telling me that unfortunately the handset is deemed out of warranty due to CRACKED LCD SCREEN ? And that it would cost me £85.99 for a full repair.

There was no proof or explanation of any sort what caused it but I am aware that there have been issues regarding this make and model regarding problems with the screen.

I today contacted customer services asking for details and what evidence they have to back-up their findings but none could be given and spent nearly an hour trying to explain that if I had damaged it myself, I would have not wasted my time sending it back and taken it somewhere local for repair as I have no insurance.

I then got passed to Samsung who said that they could not help me as o2 repair centre have my mobile handset.

I feel pretty upset with the customer services provided and wanted to know if the matter could be taken further or what Consumer rights I have to avoid the additional expense ? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem with this type of phone and what was the outcome ?

A very un-happy customer. 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
There was a case of a swelling battery recently that cracked a screen, but it doesn't sound like this is the case with yours.

Are you absolutely positive somebody else didn't touch your phone? Or even an accident that you're not aware of, like phone in your pocket whilst sitting on it?

Anyhow, really hope you find a satisfactory resolution, sorry to hear of your pains.
Message 11 of 35

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would still send it to Samsung. Even if they don't admit to liability they may still repair it for you. The only thing you lose is time but that's the way I would have gone initially and would go now.

Message 12 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gindygoo.

I am absolutely certain no-one else touched my phone and I am mystified why this happened. Like I said if I had accidentily damaged the phone myself I would not have bothered to send it back as I have no insurance coverage. I would have taken it to my local repair shop or local Samsung shop to have work carried out.

I just feel slightly let down even more so with their explanation as I was originally told that water damage and accidental damage would not be covered and was asked if there was any signs of existing damage to the actual phone casing in which there was not. 

Message 13 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I will jonsie as disgusted with o2's reply.

If I was contracted to them I would seriously consider changing provider after this.  Why would I have wasted my time sending it back if I knew that I was not covered !

No physical damage to the phone including any water damage yet they suggest that I have been using the handset excessively.

Will I have to have the phone returned to me first or do you think that o2 will send it direct to Samsung ? 

Message 14 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked the battery to see if it has swollen? if so you could blame the cracked screen on that and get it fixed for free under warranty.

Personally i would'nt bother sending it to Samsung as i know they wont treat it as a warranty fault.

Good luck

Message 15 of 35

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to ask them to return it to you and then contact Samsung support.

Message 16 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers again jonsie. Yes just had this confirmed by another email from o2 as follows:-

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Our repair centre is fully accredited by Samsung to carry out their
repairs.
In order to remain fully compliant, they must follow Samsung Warranty
Terms and Conditions.

For full details on their warranty, please contact Samsung, however
brief information on their terms can be found here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/

Also in our last email we advised that LCD damage is usually the result
of bending etc. We did not state that was what happened with your
handset.
Our repair is unable to specify the exact cause of the damage found as
they were ultimately not in possession of the device when the crack
occurred.

Finally it is not necessary to advise of all of your options regarding
getting your handset repaired.
As our repair centre acts in full accordance with Samsung, their
diagnosis and outcome would be the same.

If however you are wishing for a second opinion on the diagnosis done or
to raise a dispute with your warranty rights / product quality, we can
arrange for the handset to be returned un-repaired which will allow you
to arrange a repair with Samsung direct.

Please reply if you wish for the handset to be returned or if you wish
to proceed with repair.

Kind regards,

O2 Return & Repairs

Now saying that what they previously mentioned is not neccessarily the reason for the damage to my mobile phone as they were not present at the time of when the crack appeared ?

Message 17 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry redtitbit must of missed your post.

Ok will do that and note your comments about Samsung and expect that anyway.

If no damage to phone battery shall I just proceed with repairs ? Would Samsung be any different in price do you think.

Looks like I may have to just accept it but feel that the warranty provided is useless. 

Message 18 of 35

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Well that was an abrupt email? 

Get the phone back, see what Samsung say and yes, check the battery for swelling.

Hope you get out sorted, but please don't hold your breath Thoughful

Charlie.

Message 19 of 35

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A5 batteries don't swell.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 35