cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish advice from o2 meant i lost all my photos and messages!

Anonymous
Not applicable

i upgraded to a new phone earlier this month.  i had it a few days and realised there was a problem with the phone or battery as it wasnt retaining the charge.  o2 said they'd replace it and i had a chat because i was concerned about my photos and personal detail.  i told them i was new to this (first smart phone) and needed help.  advisor said had i opened a microsoft live account which i had and said that was all that was necessary.  all my stuff would be copied over.  when the replacement phone arrived i had to remove my sim and then reset the faulty phone before handing it to the courier.  put sim in replacement phone, charged it etc. and starting setting it up how i wanted it.  no photos and no messages.  had chat with guru yesterday for ages, then passed to his supervisor.  all to no avail.  they were worse than useless and in the end i gave up, asked guru to get someone from o2 to call me as i was very disraught and angry and upset at losing my photos and messages.  don't tell me i should have known better because i didnt - i asked o2 for guidance and followed that.  today received text from o2 offering 10% discount on accessories for using their chat!!!!!  call that compensation for losing me photos and messages?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did you actually have auto backup enabled on your old phone?
If so, log in here (with Microsoft account) and all your content will be saved and resync'd to new phone when you add the Microsoft account.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb?signin=true
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like you've fallen foul of the dreaded live chat which are next to useless
Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did you actually have auto backup enabled on your old phone?
If so, log in here (with Microsoft account) and all your content will be saved and resync'd to new phone when you add the Microsoft account.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb?signin=true
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's a shame you didn't come here for advice first as we would have advised you on making a back up of your phone, something everyone should do but many sadly don't.

Have you checked your Microsoft account?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like the Op asked and trusted the O2 advisor when are they going to sort these people out
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Sorry you've had such a bad experience. 😞

Hopefully you had Skydrive back up turned on.  Unfortunately I don't think the default is for it to be turned on.

When you setup a new phone it doesn't automatically download all your photos / messages from Skydrive, but if backup was turned on, then use the link by MI5 and they should be there.

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course issues like this beg the question as to whether live chat is fit for purpose.

Whilst we on here know to use it only for basic stuff most customers would assume it provides the full service.

Sorry o2 but it really isn't good enough. Like TuGo and various other services much more work is needed before these services go live.
Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Technically, Live chat were correct in this instance, but they failed to check if auto back up was turned on, apart from that the information is correct.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
That was quite a critical question wink
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Damien1

Yes it is and it is a prudent one. How many times are we all answering questions when things have gone wrong as a result of live chat? Creates unhappy customers.

I am not saying these services should be withdrawn. I am suggesting that o2 rush out these services before they have been fully tested for usability. Be better to do something late and get it right. ...
Message 10 of 15