Did you mean: 

Problems using Huawei B525 4G router with O2 SIM

PaulNewman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I live in a rural part of Wales and I use a 4G router for home broadband and house phone (Huawei B525 which has an external Telephone socket for connecting a normal phone).

I have been using a Three phone SIM with voice and data for over a year which works well but Three is too slow. 

After testing O2, EE and Vodafone PAYG SIMs I have found that O2 is the fastest and I now want to get a contract SIM.

However the O2 PAYG SIM does not automatically connect to 4G until I make a call first. 

Also, it keeps disconnecting from 4G requiring another phone call to be made, or a router restart (and subsequent phone call).

This is very annoying and if O2 wasn't so much faster, I would go with another provider.

Does anyone know how I can make the O2 SIM stay connected to 4G in the router? (Will it be different with a contract SIM?)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions
@PaulNewman

This is one of the limitations of PAYG and is designed to stop people using voice sims just for data.

You can obtain one of the PAYG data sims (select for tablet) and this should remove the call requirement, or get a pay monthly data sim.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

PaulNewman
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply, but if I use a data only SIM I will not be able to use the house phone which connects through the router. 

Will it work correctly with a pay monthly phone SIM? (EE, Three and Vodafone all work correctly)

Cheers,

Paul

Message 3 of 3