cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer problems - change from wireless use to cable to assist ?

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi folks welcome to 2019 party

I use a laptop , ASUS vivobook with a wireless HP  Envy printer in wireless mode.  Im now experiencing printing issues which I cant locate.  Im looking to try the printer with cable but Im not sure how to disable the wireless mode.Anyine any ideas please.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105

@MI5

I know this problem well as some people I assist at work are home based and we supply these as part of a home office pack.

The problem occurs because the printer driver software assumes that once discovered, the printer's IP address will not change.

If you turn the printer off, your router goes off or the router retrieves updated software and restarts during the night all wireless devices you have connected will request an IP when they see the Wi-Fi network come back up.

The way to fix it permenantly involves you telling the router to always give the printer a certain IP address, often referred to as DHCP reservation.

Once you have done this you can run the option to update the IP address in the HP group and it won't happen again

For TalkTalk this may help

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/WiFi-Hub-static-IP-addresses/td-p/2208684 (The printer usually identifies as Envy

If using something else please let me know.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105 

I have an HP wireless printer too and occasionally have the same issue. 

I find the HP website quite good for troubleshooting https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304875/troubleshootin...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105

@MI5

I know this problem well as some people I assist at work are home based and we supply these as part of a home office pack.

The problem occurs because the printer driver software assumes that once discovered, the printer's IP address will not change.

If you turn the printer off, your router goes off or the router retrieves updated software and restarts during the night all wireless devices you have connected will request an IP when they see the Wi-Fi network come back up.

The way to fix it permenantly involves you telling the router to always give the printer a certain IP address, often referred to as DHCP reservation.

Once you have done this you can run the option to update the IP address in the HP group and it won't happen again

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/WiFi-Hub-static-IP-addresses/td-p/2208684 (The printer usually identifies as Envy

Message 4 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi Yes HP support is very good. The trouble shoot and scan doctor haven't worked so far. I got thru to CHAT agent but had to leave in the middle (chat saved to continue later BUT not chat available at present !!)
Message 5 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

BT   please . not talktalk.

I will turn router off , turned everything off last night - forgot to close router !!

We used to turn off everything overnight but for the past 6m we've left wifi on - that could be the answer.

In the process i uninstalled the printer HP ENVY 4500 series and  tried to reinstall it . Each time it now states HP ENVY 4500 copy      0r copy 2 or copy 3 error.     Is this the same issue with the IP address.

We do have another printer which is not networked - cable only to hubby's machine. We were networked prior to my change of laptop/vivobook.    Could this add to the issue.????

More info
More info
Astounded

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jenny105

@MI5

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105

Sorry had to go last night.

The video below might help (remember you are looking for HP/ENVY/model number of the printer

Message 7 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jenny105

@MI5

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jenny105

@MI5

Thank you this worked . Printer is go.     The wifi was interrupted this am but reconnected eventually.

I will attempt to work out whether its best to switch off everything over night or not. This will be done by elimination.

Great work!Fantastic

Message 8 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Sorted trophy.     I took everything off the settings,closed the printer &  laptop down .

After using the laptop without the printer for several days I reinstated the HP Envy in Settings -as default. Used the cable . It works. 

Wifi is the next step . BUT Ive noticed that the wi fi is running very slowly and takes a short while to load so maybe thats the issue . Or  not ,and try  the Anonymous  solution ... 

Thanks

Message 9 of 11

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

HI More of the same but different .  The scanner started but has been going round and round ever since then , . The default ENVY 4500  USB has disappeared. The Envy 4500 NETshows on settings but isnt being recognised by HP s ''fix it'' service.  I thought about uninstalling this and starting over . Uninstall won't show in settings . As some people know Im now officially severely deaf , telephone is not easy for complex issues.There doesnt seem to be a CHAT service for HP , only robot gobble di goop !! 🙂

Message 10 of 11